NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is fairly common for people to throw on a set of wally cruiser wheels on a vintage rescue just to get it back on the road, as well. I have three wallyworld bikes that I bought new for projects...two are in boxes still, one I rode the heck out of until I taco'd the rear rim doing a kickout to splash a mud puddle at one of my kids. Single wall 29" rim taco'd real bad :grin:

Jason

I just received my Kokomo today. Those mags are cool, but are HEAVY AS ALL GET OUT. The rest of the bike is going to Trashman ReCycles to be turned into a rider for somebody else.

Pics of the Kokomo wheels in a 26" DX frame and girder fork.
IMG_20180414_144926_214.jpg
IMG_20180414_144457_762.jpg

Thanks for posting this Kokomo bike!

I measured the hub, and it appears they also left enough aluminum that I can cut either one down and thread on disc brake adapters. https://www.ebay.com/i/292044349903?chn=ps

I think these wheels might be going on my next build painted either fire truck or wagon wheel red.
Good thinking. I was going to use rim brakes with them, but if the hub body is actually over 1-3/8" diameter, it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with a lathe, and then use a 24tpi die to thread them for an adapter ring or an ARAI drum brake, maybe.

Good thinking. I was going to use rim brakes with them, but if the hub body is actually over 1-3/8" diameter, it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with a lathe, and then use a 24tpi die to thread them for an adapter ring or an ARAI drum brake, maybe.
I put the unthreaded (left) side of the rear hub between the jaws of my micrometer last night, and it comes out at about 1.48". I think I may buy a 1-3/8" -24 die, and just set the wheel in a truing stand and spin it while I carefully turn down the diameter with a file those last eleven thousandths to make it fit. I wonder how much of that is powdercoat.

I put the unthreaded (left) side of the rear hub between the jaws of my micrometer last night, and it comes out at about 1.48". I think I may buy a 1-3/8" -24 die, and just set the wheel in a truing stand and spin it while I carefully turn down the diameter with a file those last eleven thousandths to make it fit. I wonder how much of that is powdercoat.
That's 110 thousandths, not 11 (.110" vs .011")...that is probably out of the realm of a little file work :shake:.

Jason

Those tyres are really nice...the aerovane is no longer available. Do Schwinn sell tyres separately?

I found an eBay supplier that is selling the Schwinn Aerovane tires by themselves. Long story short, they're going to cost you $40 each shipped.

Easiest way to find them is to go to eBay and type in "serpentine tires" in the search box. Seller is wto_bike. In the auction you want to select 26x3.0 in the first box and serpentine in the second box.

Latest posts

Back