‘73 Schwinn camelback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Always thought these camelback frames were cool. One happened to fall in my lap yesterday.
5BFDD53B-4030-43B3-A2EE-22381392E5B8.jpeg

I had picked up this Akisu fork a bit back, and the steerer was just a bit too short for anything I had. When I got the lead on the camelback, having a small headtube as it does, I knew where the fork was going...
3F7E4354-F206-48D4-9CD8-E2FC64A6628B.jpeg

I test fit the fork and well, just kept going with parts on hand. Took me bout 2.5 hours.
88350ACA-7E43-4F9C-A155-99360C560CF7.jpeg

2CFD4110-BDFC-43E6-9169-7575474A0380.jpeg

For some reason I’m not too stoked on the slant stem. And I’d prefer gold pedals (of the two sets of gold I have on hand, one was way too off on color and the other were 9/16) So, stem and pedals will get swapped out in time.

Schwinn frame, headset, bb, seat clamp, and crank, Akisu forks, no name slant stem, SE cruiser bars, SE grips, solid aluminum layback seatpost, Selle Italia rolls saddle, NOS Sugino snowflake chainring, redline pedals, Alienation wheels, cheapie 1.75 gumwall tires.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t inspired by @Robertk ’s Captain Gold Rush. (In the build section)
Hope you don’t consider it a bite on your style man, thanks for getting my wheels turning on a gold on yellow build.

You think you can get away with running some 2.30’s In the rear? Looks a little tight at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think so, but I'll measure when I get a chance. Possibly in one of the 27'' wheeled frames? But mine was a 26. Somewhere on the site someone wrote up the differences of the two, I'd have to search for it. I'm running 1.75's in there.

Black Rims, Black Tires!? Just like the other Schwinn you got.

It'd be the Yellow-Jacket Stinger for sure.
I have considered putting a three speed wheel set I have in black on it as the rear spacing is 120. We’ll see. I think they’ll land on my rollfast with the 65 tooth chainring first tho.

Gold and yellow motif is what I wanna do with my yellow High Sierra. I hate the color, but make the best of it, right?

Latest posts

Back