Ugly Schwinn frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I bought some old junk bikes, and in the pile was this ugly 26" Schwinn canti frame. The serial numbers start with "AJ" which translates into Jan. ' 73. It appears to have originally been yellow as I found some of the original markings on the yellow paint. These brown forks obviously didn't come on this frame. I already had them with the bearings and races, so I stuck them on. The distance I measured inbetween the dropouts is 4 1/2". Any help in determining what width rims originally came on this bike, or whether it was a fixed gear or not would be appreciated! Thanks, Alan.

Heres a few pictures.
20180515_180015.jpg
20180515_180027_001.jpg
20180515_180118.jpg
20180515_180137.jpg

The 73 catalog only shows a Heavy Duti and Typhoon as a 26" with that frame. The rear brake bridge is shown on the Heavy Duti and it came in yellow, so that may be it. So, it was made for a single speed coaster brake hub. It may have the right forks, just the wrong color.
wMm-0VIdmBrjsYN2aQOVpA.jpg

Last edited:
The 73 catalog only shows a Heavy Duti and Typhoon as a 26" with that frame. The rear brake bridge is shown on the Heavy Duti and it came in yellow, so that may be it. So, it was made for a single speed coaster brake hub. It may have the right forks, just the wrong color.
wMm-0VIdmBrjsYN2aQOVpA.jpg
Awsome! Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back