‘55 Wards Hawthorne Flat Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this somewhat old Montgomery Wards Hawthorne Bike on a short road trip today. I had assumed post 1960 AMF style frame. Seems to be a complete bike that has spent a little too much time outdoors. Front wheel missing one spoke, slight backwards bend in fork. Chrome in pretty good shape except rims. Might make a good klunker style bike or parts bike. Bendix rear hub. I think the repop Roadmaster tanks fit.
7cab37d0872642470e66d60a7887a6b9.jpg
4d92e0723cd352a55da21a38e47d4434.jpg
67774b908baef923472653b0c68eeabe.jpg
4fa2d205f5bbfbee64037994a988dac5.jpg
21706e93af598a28861a731ea876ca38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I suspect it dates a bit earlier than you think...probably mid-1950s. You're a knowledgeable guy, so I'll spare you the history lesson. Let's just say the CWC frame, swirl chainring, expansion seatpost, & Faulhaber saddle give me...reasons.

Bendix may not be original. I think most came equipped with NDs.

I suspect it dates a bit earlier than you think...probably mid-1950s. You're a knowledgeable guy, so I'll spare you the history lesson. Let's just say the CWC frame, swirl chainring, expansion seatpost, & Faulhaber saddle give me...reasons.

Bendix may not be original. I think most came equipped with NDs.
I looked through my Montgomery Ward Hawthorne catalog reprints which go through 1960. The straight bar frames don’t show up, only double curved or cantilever frames.

Another cool AMF CWC frame I've never seen before! In 56 or 57 they went to those dropouts, but I've never seen a pre cantilever frame with those dropouts, so I'm guessing 56 or 57. Straight forks too! Serial number on the BB I'll bet. Rims match in style so Maybe the Bendix came with it.

I'm pretty sure a '60s Hawthorne would have worn this badge, rather than the crest that yours has. Also, the fact that it isn't a skip-tooth has me thinking that it's a "second-half-of the-'50s" bike. Wildcat and I are firmly in the same camp.

2.jpg

I remember something about the patent on the cantilever frame in 57, before then only Schwinn had them I think.

I spoke too soon, I have seen that frame, like this 57 model.

59545421311c84b8df338039be740179.jpg
These deluxe models show up in my catalog but the basic model like the one I drug home doesn’t. I suppose it was a cheaper model then that didn’t get advertised as much. I have another rat bike with the same frame.
9374a8a34d66324788e797d0efa7ae2a.jpg

Serial number...
17c85c06aff2621c1180cba99703f7c9.jpg

Serial number...
17c85c06aff2621c1180cba99703f7c9.jpg

From a Facebook Old Bikes Club posting it is said to be a 1955 from serial number. So those posing comments in this thread are in the know. Thanks!

Well, there you go...55Cw is the date code. Geez, I get tired of bein' right! :p

Good job man! So it’s a Cleveland Welding frame. So did AMF take over CW production?
I need to look at my other bike like this, don’t think I ever looked at it’s number.

Oh yes! AMF absorbed CWC in or about 1950 and subsequently bought Shelby Cycles in 1953. Bicycle production was consolidated in Cleveland which, unfortunately, became a hotbed of post-war labor disputes. Rather than cave to a lot of union demands, AMF built their new wheel goods division in Little Rock and shuttered the Cleveland operation by 1955. It's a toss-up as to whether your bike is one of the last Cleveland frames or one of the first from Arkansas--the design continued unchanged for a while.

I've seen Shelbys of the same vintage that are identical to your Hawthorne, other than the badge they wear.

Oh yes! AMF absorbed CWC in or about 1950 and subsequently bought Shelby Cycles in 1953. Bicycle production was consolidated in Cleveland which, unfortunately, became a hotbed of post-war labor disputes. Rather than cave to a lot of union demands, AMF built their new wheel goods division in Little Rock and shuttered the Cleveland operation by 1955. It's a toss-up as to whether your bike is one of the last Cleveland frames or one of the first from Arkansas--the design continued unchanged for a while.

I've seen Shelbys of the same vintage that are identical to your Hawthorne, other than the badge they wear.
Thanks for the info. That explains why someone told me I had a Shelby frame with the rat bike I posted up a few posts in this thread. All starting to be clear now.

Another cool AMF CWC frame I've never seen before! In 56 or 57 they went to those dropouts, but I've never seen a pre cantilever frame with those dropouts, so I'm guessing 56 or 57. Straight forks too! Serial number on the BB I'll bet. Rims match in style so Maybe the Bendix came with it.

I've always believed that a "Cantilever " frame was a frame where the rear seat stay tubes continued from the rear all the way passed the seat tube to the front lower tube as 9n this Schwinn pictured.

20180526_125539.jpg

Changed out the front tire and tube. Shot the chain with WD40, oiled front wheel hub and adjusted cones. Center rear wheel added air and took a spin. It’s a rider for now.
08569ff31f4c06d66ac8751fca737720.jpg

When the patent ran out, then everyone else could make them that way, and they did, Murray and AMF. All the other AMF frames I've ever seen were cantilever.

I've always believed that a "Cantilever " frame was a frame where the rear seat stay tubes continued from the rear all the way passed the seat tube to the front lower tube as 9n this Schwinn pictured.

View attachment 77489
This style frame shows up in 1957 MW catalog cuts.
2dacf49c75065352283364ed5a4f0be6.jpg

The Bendix coaster brake hub does not have a red band so it may be the design of Edwin Elliott Hood from 1944-46 used until 1960 or so. Those may have had threaded sprockets, and on earlier ones, a lubrication port with cover. About 1964 they introduced the 3-tab sprockets, with the Red Band II brake.

Latest posts

Back