RRBBO13 Tycoon - Almost finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tycoon....like it. Or for something a little more obtuse...."Thurston Howell III"

I test-mounted my Paul Components Motolite front brake on the fork, and the 650B wheel falls right into the sweet spot on the brake arm - should have plenty of leverage without needing a massive amount of cable travel.

I test-mounted my Paul Components Motolite front brake on the fork, and the 650B wheel falls right into the sweet spot on the brake arm - should have plenty of leverage without needing a massive amount of cable travel.
Without pictures... it never happened.:21:

Touche-cggwx0.jpg

Last night, I went over to visit Lee "Trashman" McNeese, and the two of us replaced the rear upper fender mount with a forged brake bridge.
IMG_20180704_111247_404.jpg

Today, I mounted up the front and rear brakes.
IMG_20180704_120640_958.jpg
IMG_20180704_111702_593.jpg

I used an M5 tap to fix one of the canti posts, which had been bent, previously.
The stem is a temporary stand in, but with cables, I could ride this weekend.
IMG_20180704_155222_180.jpg

Gets better and better. Nice brakework. Love the wheels on that frame.

A couple of other things:
  • I've been trying to keep the majority of this bike built with either US aftermarket or Schwinn parts, but I've decided to "upgrade" the original Schwinn headset with a Tioga Beartrap 2 top race, lock washer and nut. They just don't loosen up like the stock headset does, and U.S. made or not, I don't see the value in forking out for a Chris King setup.
  • This fork is a 21.1 ID, so my uber-cool Genuine Bicycle Products Gigantor stem will have to go on some other project.
  • I'm planning on using an old Dia-Compe rear cable hanger, bolted onto the seatpost clamp. Not U.S. made either, but was spec'ed on a bunch of American road bikes and early MTB's, back in the day.

I like the internal routing idea. The bike's look'n good!
I was working in the evening, trying to beat the heat , so please excuse the pic quality. Got both brakes installed and stopping.
IMG_20180709_210001_617.jpg
IMG_20180709_210551_249.jpg
Will have to clean up my internal routing path and seal the inside of that tube before final paint.

Did you route the cable into the front of the tube like you were planning?

Really like this one. The chain ring and your wheels, the seat post and your fork, and the saddle and your bars all work together so well. I kind of like the light coloring in the frame (and of course, I usually don't paint mine :rolleyes: ) and I think it shows off your other parts well. What color do you have in mind?

Nice, that sprocket is perfect for those wheels too

Nice, that sprocket is perfect for those wheels too

Really like this one. The chain ring and your wheels, the seat post and your fork, and the saddle and your bars all work together so well. I kind of like the light coloring in the frame (and of course, I usually don't paint mine :rolleyes: ) and I think it shows off your other parts well. What color do you have in mind?

Thanks, fellas. Yeah, that White Industries crankset looks pretty fantastic on just about anything, but does seem to play well off of the wheels. I was planning to just paint the frame and fork legs black (masking off the chrome crown on the forks), and then adding some white/gold/red? pinstripes and lettering. The more that I look at it though, the more I think about repainting it a very similar gold to what's on it now, and striping it in black.

...and I'm still looking at massaging a Schwinn chain guard to work with those cranks. It'll take some grinding to get it to clear between the sprocket and the back side of the crank arm, though.

I actually like the black fade job with the gold

Latest posts

Back