SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a Kona Humuhumu-kunukunu-apu'a
39992304_10217278853950135_977620047893626880_n.jpg

40535910_10217345001643786_3998543801579732992_n.jpg

Cold rolled steel bar won't bend. Order online or from your local metal shop. Hot rolled like from the hardware store will bend.
There isn't any real difference in strength between hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel, if the same alloy/grade. The difference in strength is that you are getting mild steel from the hardware store, and something stronger from the metal shop. The best reason to get cold-rolled for a seatpost is that it is more dimensionally accurate than hot-rolled.

Jason

There isn't any real difference in strength between hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel, if the same alloy/grade. The difference in strength is that you are getting mild steel from the hardware store, and something stronger from the metal shop. The best reason to get cold-rolled for a seatpost is that it is more dimensionally accurate than hot-rolled.

Jason
Cold rolled is stronger stronger

Schwinn Heavy Duti. Hayes mechanical disc on unknown 1 ⅛" fork. Unknown, but seamless, bars and MacNeil stem. Profile chainring, unknown cranks, Conti 2.40" tires, Araya rims with Shimano hubs front and rear. The coaster brake rear is trashed after 22miles of mostly downhill mountain biking...but still rolls pretty free.

IMG_20180904_205040.jpg

Cold rolled is stronger stronger

You are correct...I parrotted a rule of thumb that wasn't entirely accurate. Although tensile strength ranges from marginally to significantly better with cold rolled...yield strength is always significantly higher with cold rolled, which would be more important for a seat post.

With very few exceptions... a chromoly grade is is going to be the better choice than hot/cold/as drawn mild steel.

Jason

Schwinn Heavy Duti. Hayes mechanical disc on unknown 1 ⅛" fork. Unknown, but seamless, bars and MacNeil stem. Profile chainring, unknown cranks, Conti 2.40" tires, Araya rims with Shimano hubs front and rear. The coaster brake rear is trashed after 22miles of mostly downhill mountain biking...but still rolls pretty free.

View attachment 83946

You are correct...I parrotted a rule of thumb that wasn't entirely accurate. Although tensile strength ranges from marginally to significantly better with cold rolled...yield strength is always significantly higher with cold rolled, which would be more important for a seat post.

With very few exceptions... a chromoly grade is is going to be the better choice than hot/cold/as drawn mild steel.

Jason
I'm light, 155 pounds but I always bend hot rolled 5/8 bars. Cold rolled has never failed me. Also, Allen Bonds site "clunkers" has a tip page for building klunkers and he recommends a certain grade of aluminium rod. I can't recall what it is but I use that also without bending. I have only used it in 5/8 so it should be good on larger diameter for bigger riders.

Last edited:
Is that Transition bracketed by a Hank and a Fisher? I'm in awe :43:

Jason
Yes! Lot of mods on the Hank- but I have all stock parts boxed up. It was nos when I got it about a year ago. I like riding it best of all of them. I mean of the non vintage bikes. I have 2 Transitions actually.
t red.jpg
trans5.jpg

Last edited:
What’s you rig geared at? Is that a oval ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not an oval. I have a 34, 36, and a 40 for this bike. I change out as mood/riding condition dictates. I live in Colorado so I have many different choices of great riding right out my back door.

Latest posts

Back