Too Cold to work on bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another blizzard today. 10 inches predicted here and 20 inches 100 miles west. It's supposed to snow for two and a half days. I'm working on leather bike seats and wheels in our cabin. Today I'm going to attempt to mount a tubular tire to a wood rim. I'll do it in the bathroom where there is an outside vent for the mastic fumes. There is so much snow this year that our access road is only one and a half lanes narrow. The massive road commission plow pushes the fresh snow up onto the banks, but the banks are so high that the snow just tumbles back into the road. My friends with tractors with snow blower attachments have had to raise the exit chute to the highest level to clear their banks. This is the first time that have had to do this. Driving in town is a challenge as the streets are too narrow now for parking, but people have to park for shopping. It makes it a challenge to squeeze two cars by coming and going, very tight. You can't see over the banks to pull out into traffic and there have been several accidents. I'm getting a magnetic sports team banner on a a whip to attach on the roof of my truck so people can see me over the banks at a corner.

Last edited:
View attachment 90372

Well, created a work space in the basement by the wood burner, but ran out of places to pile the snow. so doesn't look like i'm gonna get to some of my project frames in this shed till the "Big thaw", whenever that is. And ditto, another storm due this weekend. This stuff is really heavy, tractor bucket strains lifting it and after it sets overnight it is like concrete. :(

Wow, that's a lot of snow for the banana belt!

Snowmageddon here. Blizzard is going good, 59 mph wind gusts. One of my friends was rescuing people with his massive 4 wheel drive pickup but he can no longer get through the side streets. He posted that everyone should stay inside. It's warm out 22F. No school in Negaunee for awhile, their school bus garage caved in from the weight of the snow on the roof. Other buildings will probably collapse too. The building codes will have to be revised. People are running out of places to put the snow. Another blizzard is on the way. Snow here at our cabin is predicted for 10 out of the next 15 days. No 2 days in a row without snow predicted. Yesterday around 5 PM I went out to the highway and the snow was so deep on it that people were using snowmobiles instead of cars or trucks. They were going 50 mph or so, probably a lot faster on the long straights. Caved in school bus garage below. 17 feet of snowfall so far this winter, a lot more 100 miles west.
Negaunee+Bus+Garage.jpg

Last edited:
The gusts were crazy yesterday! Was feeding the basement wood stove in the afternoon, when a big one hit us. The clothes drier vent started clacking, so much force the wood smoke pushed in the house thru the open feed door on the stove for a second! Came upstairs, my wife had been looking out the window at the same time and she said it was a total white out for a few seconds. Horses all O.K. :)

We didn't get it too bad from the blizzard, it was a cyclone with an eye. We were in the eye for quite awhile so we were spared. We only got about 6 inches. It's still blowing and 7F. 70 miles west is a different story, all stores closed, including supermarkets, city plows stuck, people looking for their cars by poking a broom handle in the snow. 30.6 inches there. My snowblower chucked a lot of downed sticks, pine cones and pine needles. Wind gusts at Stannard Rock were hurricane force, 75 mph, only 59 mph here. The snow plow finally cleared the road this AM. The Westwood Mall was evacuated as they are worried thay the roof will collapse. An auto repair shop and a large furniture store also collapsed.

It's the Bernoulli effect on the roof vent pipe. High speed air reduces the pressure in the pipe and its waning returns it to atmospheric pressure, which shows as the water in the bowl moving up and down. I looked it up because mine's doing the same with the wind. Worse, the wind caused a porta pottie to slide into my car at work today, putting a crease in the front fender and cracking the mirror housing a little.

I was able to drive my mustang to work for the first time this week (it has DOT drag slicks on the back, and pizza cutters up front...not exactly winter friendly :grin:). We've pretty much had our 3-4 days of winter, and its probably done now...though I don't rule out another snow event until after the first week of April. Most snow on the ground at our house, 6-8inches...lowest temp 25F.

Although I did go out for a couple short rides...I consider it too cold to work or ride bicycles here, as well :bigsmile:.

90658_17d34f8c69b89020040902625de547a1.jpg

Jason

Last edited:
5 degrees in ICT Monday morning, 8 this morning, warm by comparison to UP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back