ECHO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:android: Update from the Shop at Area 51 :android:

Shifter Handle Knob

In keeping with an alien aeronautical theme... I'd been pushing this airfoil shaped tube around for a couple years, just in case. Time to do something with it.

01_shifterKnob.jpg

02_shifterKnob.jpg

03_shifterKnob.jpg

04_shifterKnob.jpg

Just amazing work! I have a frame saved in my pile with that egg shaped tube too, been waiting to come up with an idea for it, never would have thought of a shifter knob!

Rear Light

I was originally going to use a round reflector but didn't like the look when I mocked it up. I did find a white wheel reflector that I thought fit just right under the seat though. I also happened to have an existing light that was close to the same size as the wheel reflector. So, I decided to go ahead and build a cover to fit both.

01_reflectorLightAndCoverMockup.jpg

02_cover.jpg

03_coverWithLight.jpg

04_lightAssembledFrnt.jpg

05_lightAssembledBack.jpg

I couldn't work out using the side seat bolts to mount the light. I ended up adding a tab that attaches to the bolt that holds the upper and lower seat pans together.

06_mountingTab.jpg

07_btmAndSideViews.jpg

I did a quick polish to the cover. I also added a "T" post that sticks out through a hole in the cover bottom. Pushing this post pushes on the light switch and lets you turn the light on and off without taking the light completely out of the cover.

08_polishedTopAndBtm.jpg

09_offOn.jpg

10_onOverview.jpg

Front Fork, Cable Guides, Safety Washers

Last little bits before starting the long slog of filler-primer-paint.

The front drum brake had a screw on strap for the fork. The strap looks okay but a little like an unplanned addition. I decided it would be better to cut the strap short and weld it to the fork. I'll use filler to blend this in later.

01_brakeStrap.jpg

On the bike the forks came from there was a chrome plated piece that slipped over the crown. The cover was kind of plain compared to the actual crown so I opted to polish the crown rather than use the cover.

02_forkCrownPolish.jpg

Initially I considered weld filling the caliper brake mounting hole in the crown. I was worried that the heat might compromise the brazing in that area though. Turns out the hole made a perfect place to attach a front brake cable guide.

05_frntCableGuide01.jpg

06_frntCableGuide02.jpg

Some day I'm going to get around to running cables through the frame or using braze on guides. Although, outside cables just seem correct to me on a muscle bike. I needed 1/2 inch and 7/8 inch guides but could only find 1 inch. I modified the 1 inch screw on guides to clip-ons to fit.

07rearCableClips.jpg

The ends of the forks I'm using have mounting holes for a fender. Rather than cutting them off I made up some safety washers that wrap over the top of the fork and are secured with bolts into these holes. Overkill maybe but, it makes the mounting holes look intentional and the front wheel should not be going anywhere.

03_safetyWashers01.jpg

04_safetyWashers02.jpg

The ends of the forks I'm using have mounting holes for a fender. Rather than cutting them off I made up some safety washers that wrap over the top of the fork and are secured with bolts into these holes. Overkill maybe but, it makes the mounting holes look intentional and the front wheel should not be going anywhere.

View attachment 91823

View attachment 91824

Great idea! Might need to steal that some time, when I get to that homemade springer I carry along in my mind for quite some time now...

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm... I might just steal that idea!
Not stolen, it's free. Blue dots have been around long before I discovered them back in the late 70's.

Echo is shaping up nicely, you're some type of metal polishing super hero. You and @Chad T need to get together and do lunch sometime!

Great idea! Might need to steal that some time, when I get to that homemade springer I carry along in my mind for quite some time now...

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Steal away... actually though, as @The Renaissance Man says... not stolen and, I'm sure I'm not the first. You need to get that springer out of your head. Not healthy to keep ideas trapped up like that too long!

Not stolen, it's free. Blue dots have been around long before I discovered them back in the late 70's.

Echo is shaping up nicely, you're some type of metal polishing super hero. You and @Chad T need to get together and do lunch sometime!

Thanks. Yeah, @Chad T and I could probably swap home remedies for finger print repair after sanding most of ours off.

Latest posts

Back