Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Virginia's hair was a mess when I found her. And I expect it will always be to some ends. Her bearings hit the ground and rolled around loosely as she was undressed. She'll likely never be a finished product.

She doesn't know what she wants to be. Cruiser, klunker, road bike, all three?
But she'll try and do it in her own style.

Virginia is destined to be a Jack of all trades and a master of none.
Almost all of her clothes and accessories will be stolen from others.
The experiences she will take with her from her acquisitions will make her familiar with all situations, but never fully at home. She'll always be ready to roam no matter where she hangs her hat.
Her identity will finally be partially cast when she buys her first new pair of shoes.

Falling apart
20190528_193429.jpg

Naked to the world...twisted
20190615_082050.jpg

Meet Virginia

Last edited:
So like I'd said in the "What've you been riding thread", this is my first bicycle build since I was a young punk in the late 70's.
That's when one of the
members that's been around a while longer, @KJV, suggested I should post my build in the Build-Off competion.

I don't know if there's a specific name to the late model twin top tube frame that I will be building up. But I just bought it because I liked it and it was unusual. And it had a good set of wide cruiser tires which I figured was worth near half of the cost.

Hope it at least turns out interesting, as I expect to have no chance of winning.

Here's one last angle of the frame as it was before I started sanding off the stickers, and chips and rust.
20190615_082102.jpg

So like I'd said in the "What've you been riding thread", this is my first bicycle build since I was a young punk in the late 70's.
That's when one of the
members that's been around a while longer, @KJV, suggested I should post my build in the Build-Off competion.

I don't know if there's a specific name to the late model twin top tube frame that I will be building up. But I just bought it because I liked it and it was unusual. And it had a good set of wide cruiser tires which I figured was worth near half of the cost.

Hope it at least turns out interesting, as I expect to have no chance of winning.

Here's one last angle of the frame as it was before I started sanding off the stickers, and chips and rust.
View attachment 98006
I like it to , it reminds me of a pretzel !

Its the same frame I’ve got for my build. Bought mine as a frame only, liked it because of the twin top tube.
Cool. Around here, it's hard to find a vintage frame that I like.
They're either already built up or someone wants a mint for one that's rusted through.

Got all the rough spots sanded down well. But wrinkles are showing up at the bend in the bottom tube. Might have to dig around for some 40 grit and put some bondo on it.
20190625_190847.jpg

Otherwise, indecision has got the best of me.
I got Barcelona Red, Quazar Blue, Bahama Blue, Satin Espresso, and Satin Black.

I had initially thought I might want to paint it metallic brown. And sandman's comment about the pretzel had me searchin the earthtones. I tell ya metallic brown is in short supply. Did find a nice leather color, and with some metallic pearl clear...brown with the 8 speed and I might have to call it the Pretzel Road Sleeper.
Black is beautiful though. And some metallic black, some subtle partial length pin stripes, with matte clear might be where I want to be.

Last edited:
Oh...and... Oops, I did it again.
A dirt cheap parts bike. No brakes. Rusty chain. Skinny tires. I think this was a 24" bike that now has 2 different 26" rims. I got a freewheel rear match to the front one though.
20190625_181622.jpg

But behind the greasy grimey chain and deraileurs...
20190625_182420.jpg

A high flange Shimano Nexus 3. First one I'd ever seen.
Lots of heavy duty spokes and decent rims(once I remove the green paint from the rear one) and ok front hub.
20190625_182440.jpg

But I got a couple sets of 7x that I'd lace it in if it had a coaster.
Would have to find a nice thumb shifter to go with too. Billet would be nice.

Still lookin for yellow three stripe.

Bike also had some mini motocross lookin bars...and some grips I kinda like.
20190625_182536.jpg

Figure I could scrap the aluminum frame for what I got in it.

Last edited:
And got a mostly never used late 80's Schwinn Sierra that I picked up a month or so ago, for a parts bike.
With a frame that's a little too tall for me.
Like new almost everything. Alloy looking headset, Araya 7x with high flange hubs, Sakae SX crankset, etc. Cantilever brakes and fork if I decide to go that way.

Oh no! Not again! :bigsmile:

Virginia wanted to try on these tires.
So.....
20190627_171407.jpg

It was really really cheap. And those are Dyno Fireball 26 x 2.125 tires in excellent near new condition...
except a little paint on the front one that I hope is easy to remove.
And some pretty nice Shimano cranks.

Parts are really piling up. And I'm sure as soon as I make a decision on forks, stem/neck, handlebars, or find a deal on some that I can't pass up, then things will start moving along at a faster pace.

Oh no! Not again! :bigsmile:

Virginia wanted to try on these tires.
So.....
View attachment 98681
It was really really cheap. And those are Dyno Fireball 26 x 2.125 tires in excellent near new condition...
except a little paint on the front one that I hope is easy to remove.
And some pretty nice Shimano cranks.

Parts are really piling up. And I'm sure as soon as I make a decision on forks, stem/neck, handlebars, or find a deal on some that I can't pass up, then things will start moving along at a faster pace.
My wife has those tires on her townie and loves them .

My wife has those tires on her townie and loves them .
Good to here someone likes them!

They caught my eye amongst a large pile of bikes.
Figure I'll put my set of 1.5 hybrids on the donor bike, along with a slightly larger chainring, shorter stem and crank arms, and it'll be good for a smaller rider.

If my build gets set up with the 8-speed, and a big front sprocket, maybe a carbon fork, as mainly a road bike, then I think those fire tires could work.

Welp....got a Nexus 3-speed and an 8-speed.

Both set up for roller brakes. Which is good. Because I hate to polish up some old Araya's just to scuff them up with rim brakes.
But I've already got rim brakes. And I'm thinkin:39:....if I'm going to lay out some dough for some new parts...o_O....maybe I should go cable-less and get a 2-speed with a coaster brake.:nerd:
A Sachs or SRAM would be ideal, with their true autoshift. But not available new and, for me, seemingly impossible to find used.
:headbang:

Latest posts

Back