Anybody have experience with Mini BMX 20 x 1 1/8 or 1 3/8 rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am thinking of faking together a set of wheels for an old Schwinn Fastback, which uses 20 x 1 3/8 tires with an ISO of 451. There is apparently a BMX rim size used for beginning racers called Mini BMX, which is available in 20 x 1 1/8 or 1 3/8 and also has an ISO of 451. (Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as standard BMX wheels with 20 x decimal measurement wheels have an ISO of 406. Why would you put a smaller rider on taller wheels? Whatever, if Sheldon says it, then I believe it.)

At any rate, I'm thinking of lacing a set of these to old Schwinn hubs. Does anyone have any experience with this size BMX rim? Does it sound like it'd work for what I'm trying to do?

The pic in my av is a 28h 451 bmx rim laced to a Huffy hub. Same size as the Fastback rims. 28 holes 451 rims can be hard to find That's what you'd need to lace them to Fastback hubs.

Here are some examples. Lots of 36h ones out there but you can find 28h ones if you look hard. 32h ones give you lots of modern hub options....don't see those too much.

wheel4.jpg

rim3.jpg

hoops2.jpg

The pic in my av is a 28h 451 bmx rim laced to a Huffy hub. Same size as the Fastback rims. 28 holes 451 rims can be hard to find That's what you'd need to lace them to Fastback hubs.

Here are some examples. Lots of 36h ones out there but you can find 28h ones if you look hard. 32h ones give you lots of modern hub options....don't see those too much.

View attachment 103882

View attachment 103883

View attachment 103885

This is exactly what I hoped to hear. I forgot to mention an important detail... the Schwinn hubs I want to use are 36h; they are off a Collegiate the same year as the Fastback I am whacking together. So 36h is perfect. What are some brand names to look for? At the moment I have my eye on some used Odyssey T1000s, but they have a Presta valve hole...

thanks for the info!

...Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as standard BMX wheels with 20 x decimal measurement wheels have an ISO of 406. Why would you put a smaller rider on taller wheels? Whatever, if Sheldon says it, then I believe it.
With tires mounted, the 406 and 451 wheels are both ~20" diameter. The 451 setup uses super skinny tires and rims for considerably less weight than the, comparitively, fat-tired 406 setup.

With tires mounted, the 406 and 451 wheels are both ~20" diameter. The 451 setup uses super skinny tires and rims for considerably less weight than the, comparitively, fat-tired 406 setup.
Well when you put it that way...

...yeah, that does make sense. :praise:

Latest posts

Back