Post Your Final Thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about fake birds attached to bikes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7a62d3dc53778a373a879321c92637af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have animated my pirate bird.

Last edited:
I did not know we had to post a riding video.
Ride videos are not required Adam. It's just something that a lot of us like to see, as it's kind of the final step in a build. The bike rides as intended, and is being enjoyed by the rider.

Please don't tell us that your very RaT-isfying build is frozen solid with rust and won't move an inch!
:21:
Just kidding!

Mines a basic build and I can't currently ride a bike but if videos become required hopefully I'll be back in shape or I'll video a friend riding it

To me the following definition relates to bicycles as well...my guiding light for 10 rat rod build-off bikes and one wagon, so to speak.

From Wikipedia:
“The modern definition of a "rat rod" is a custom car with a deliberately worn-down, unfinished appearance, typically lacking paint, showing rust, and made from cheap or cast-off parts.[1] These parts can include non-automotive items that have been repurposed, such as using a rifle as a gear shifter, wrenches as door handles, and old saws as sun visors. A rat rod may or may not have extraneous decorations, but will always exude a great deal of personality due to the imagination required of the builder.

An alternate, and outdated, definition of a "rat rod" is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 1940s, 1950s, and early-1960s. The style is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Originally, rat rods were a counter-reaction to the high-priced "customs" and typical hot rods, many of which were seldom driven and served only a decorative purpose. The rat rod's inception signified a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rod culture—built according to the owner's abilities and with the intention of being driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate, in both form and function, the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, psychobilly, and punk sub-cultures are often cited as influences that shaped rat rodding.”

While I agree with much of what you have quoted here Ed, I'm not sure how that relates to the discussion about a build off bicycle being 'pedal powered' or not?

All of what I read in this is referring to the rat rod in an automotive sense, not bicycles. While we certainly adopt those design and 'look' characteristics, we are building bikes; and the actual definition of a bicycle is what I was contending.
bi·cy·cle
/ˈbīsək(ə)l/
noun
  1. a vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars

While I agree with much of what you have quoted here Ed, I'm not sure how that relates to the discussion about a build off bicycle being 'pedal powered' or not?

All of what I read in this is referring to the rat rod in an automotive sense, not bicycles. While we certainly adopt those design and 'look' characteristics, we are building bikes; and the actual definition of a bicycle is what I was contending.
bi·cy·cle
/ˈbīsək(ə)l/
noun
  1. a vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other, propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars

The thread here is/was about Final Thoughts. The riding stuff and pedaling is just one of the thoughts not the primary focus.
The definition has to do with what’s makes it a rat rod for me. The characteristics transfer, you might want to read it again.

The thread here is/was about Final Thoughts. The riding stuff and pedaling is just one of the thoughts not the primary focus.
The definition has to do with what’s makes it a rat rod for me. The characteristics transfer, you might want to read it again.

Ahh Man, I mixed up the 100 grit with my lint free micro fiber polish cloth.

29e928921cf41e746ede3d0e39c64f5d.jpg

Coaster Brake Garage

To me the following definition relates to bicycles as well...my guiding light for 10 rat rod build-off bikes and one wagon, so to speak.

From Wikipedia:
“The modern definition of a "rat rod" is a custom car with a deliberately worn-down, unfinished appearance, typically lacking paint, showing rust, and made from cheap or cast-off parts.[1] These parts can include non-automotive items that have been repurposed, such as using a rifle as a gear shifter, wrenches as door handles, and old saws as sun visors. A rat rod may or may not have extraneous decorations, but will always exude a great deal of personality due to the imagination required of the builder.

An alternate, and outdated, definition of a "rat rod" is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 1940s, 1950s, and early-1960s. The style is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Originally, rat rods were a counter-reaction to the high-priced "customs" and typical hot rods, many of which were seldom driven and served only a decorative purpose. The rat rod's inception signified a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rod culture—built according to the owner's abilities and with the intention of being driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate, in both form and function, the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, psychobilly, and punk sub-cultures are often cited as influences that shaped rat rodding.”

bi·cy·cle
/ˈbīsək(ə)l/
noun

OK, I can clear this up ,,
Here: is a a Rat Rod
Car, & a Rat Rod Bicycle..
105081_dd55871ac490e4d86226a3835499a820.jpg
now: you get the picture ?:emo:,:bigboss:
IMG_20190909_183430624~3.jpg

From Wikipedia:

I know my bike is more of a restomod than a rat rod. My initial thoughts were to leave it rusty, but like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz, it spoke to me, "Oil can, oil can, four ought steel wool, four ought steel wool." And then I was addicted to finding 50 year old chrome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So Streamliner and Volo should be on a different forum? I disagree.
Methinks this should be more a celebration of people building bikes that fall outside of the junk hawked at the big "W". People can express themselves in shiny ways or in rusty hues.
Someday I hope to enter a build off. I got my eyes on a frame, and it's shiny as heck. If it's against the rules, I'm still building it!

Latest posts

Back