Winter build off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it has always been a requirement.

I think you guys are missing the point. If you are building a reasonably normal build, you don't have to prove anything!
The only reason you need to prove ridabilty is if you are doing something crazy.

That is the reason I post videos sometimes:

I have two folding bikes with 20 inch wheels. They come up high enough. I forgot about them, but I don't want to modify them, so I am still out. So it would be possible for me to enter this with a folder as a starting point. I would use my old Sears Tote-Cycle bolt together. The concept could be apes, lots of spokes in the wheels, flashy do dads in the spokes, star AMF chain ring, bobber chrome fenders, wide whitewall tires, Bendix blue band kick back coaster, flashing head/tail light, lots of reflectors (red, white and blue), twisted low rider crank and USA flag colors on the grip streamers. Paint it red, white and blue and use it for a Fort Zu lye parade bike. You could get a horn that plays the Star Spangled Banner. You would have to ride it with an Uncle Sam outfit, including a beard and the tall top hat in red, white and blue. This could be an entertaining spectacle at a parade. I almost talked myself into it, but not quite, too many other bike projects. Fun to build it in my head.

I have two folding bikes with 20 inch wheels. They come up high enough. I forgot about them, but I don't want to modify them, so I am still out. So it would be possible for me to enter this with a folder as a starting point. I would use my old Sears Tote-Cycle bolt together. The concept could be apes, lots of spokes in the wheels, flashy do dads in the spokes, star AMF chain ring, bobber chrome fenders, wide whitewall tires, Bendix blue band kick back coaster, flashing head/tail light, lots of reflectors (red, white and blue), twisted low rider crank and USA flag colors on the grip streamers. Paint it red, white and blue and use it for a Fort Zu lye parade bike. You could get a horn that plays the Star Spangled Banner. You would have to ride it with an Uncle Sam outfit, including a beard and the tall top hat in red, white and blue. This could be an entertaining spectacle at a parade. I almost talked myself into it, but not quite, too many other bike projects. Fun to build it in my head.
Sounds like a solid plan for me! GTB! :rofl::crazy:

Actually it has always been a requirement...

Yep, and occasionally a scraper gets a pass because we try to be inclusive, rather than exclusive. That said, when you know it has to be rideable and you go out of your way to miss that one, then someones going to call you out on it.

Also remember they're just bicycles
and whining about a bicycle is kinda sad.
(I had to get over it once so I know better...)

Carl.

Last edited:
I have a junk chinese folder. Just a real worthless pile, but I keep looking at it like fodder for a frankenbike...

Carl.

I have a junk chinese folder. Just a real worthless pile, but I keep looking at it like fodder for a frankenbike...

Carl.
Worthless pile you say?

I hate to let the cat out of the bag....but....I'm going to be building this,
20190919_193832.jpg
20190919_193908.jpg
Little Rock built AMF Roadmaster Cherokee? into a FABULOUS Muscle Bike!
Pics are only from two sides, but it looks equally bad from any angle!:D

Worthless pile you say?

I hate to let the cat out of the bag....but....I'm going to be building this,View attachment 105800 View attachment 105801 Little Rock built AMF Roadmaster Cherokee? into a FABULOUS Muscle Bike!
Pics are only from two sides, but it looks equally bad from any angle!:D
Well little brother, I'm NOT trying to deter you but I do think that folks should take a few days to peruse the past Muscle Bike Build Offs in the Archives. 1. They are a great reference for builders and B. they'll give you an idea of just what you are competing with. Because, no matter how some of us try to bend the rules, it rarely works out in the voting booth. Unless of course, you build a klunker with apes, for some reason those junkers do well in the voting, beating legitimate Muscle bikes (crazy and sad at the same time...) I like pushing the limits, for quite a while I've been wanting to build a stretched BMX bike from a TALL diamond frame, maybe this is my chance. Can't wait to see your vision.

Carl.

Well little brother, I'm NOT trying to deter you but I do think that folks should take a few days to peruse the past Muscle Bike Build Offs in the Archives. 1. They are a great reference for builders and B. they'll give you an idea of just what you are competing with. Because, no matter how some of us try to bend the rules, it rarely works out in the voting booth. Unless of course, you build a klunker with apes, for some reason those junkers do well in the voting, beating legitimate Muscle bikes (crazy and sad at the same time...) I like pushing the limits, for quite a while I've been wanting to build a stretched BMX bike from a TALL diamond frame, maybe this is my chance. Can't wait to see your vision.

Carl.
I have no delusions of winning the contest.
But I do have quite a few cans of spray paint along with a plethora of otherwise useless parts that seem to have suddenly found a purpose.

That particular bike will be built with all used accumulated parts, none of it's own. And one or two homemade pieces. I might have to buy some handlebars.
It may end up more rat-rod than muscle bike.
But I have no idea where the bike came from. And it's been seasoning for probably at least a couple of decades. I can't possibly make it any worse.

And since there is unlimited entries...So far... three frames that otherwise would not have been used have been chosen for the two classes.
They will all be less than conventional, and not elaborately built.
And I may add more to the list. We shall see.

Looking at some old MBBO's for inspiration sounds like a good idea. I'll check it out.

Are you guys in the Build Off to get votes, or build a bike? I'm trying to figure out a way to ride the Wonky Donkey backwards so I can meet the "bigger back wheel" requirement. And wether I can trick you guys into believing my flipped out cruiser bars are apes. So far I'm at 0/3...

Are you guys in the Build Off to get votes, or build a bike? I'm trying to figure out a way to ride the Wonky Donkey backwards so I can meet the "bigger back wheel" requirement. And wether I can trick you guys into believing my flipped out cruiser bars are apes. So far I'm at 0/3...
Oh I can build a bike without the build off. But to get some accolades you must be in the build off.
So... yeah, to get votes. :crazy:
Also, back tire can be bigger in width...

Carl.

Like I said above, it gives me a reason to build up three bike frames that I had no immediate plans for. And one that I didn't have a clear direction on. Along with using mostly parts that I already had that didn't have a defined purpose.

I plan on purchasing one set of $19 ape hangers. But not sure which bike they will end up on.
And maybe a tire or two.
I counted at least six cans of black paint, three red, two or three blue, one or two silver, one or two white, four cans of clear, one avocado, and a small can of 18k gold. Mostly gotten in a massive estate sale haul for pennies on the dollar.
Hopefully that'll be enough as a couple might not get painted.

Also gives me a reason to try my hand at building some home brew banana seats. I've got a water ski, a skateboard, and a snowboard that I picked up for nothing or next to it. Some heavy dark blue and black vinyl that I've had for years. And a few scraps of plywood if that's not enough.
Just got to figure out what I'll use for rear supports.

All of my bikes will be built with rideability in mind first and formost. Form follows function.
They will be bicycles meant for riding in their purest sense. Within the rules to whatever extent necessary. Although likely without the extravagance of the high vote getters.

And for now, all the bikes I have planned will be based on full size frames.
For both categories.

It's inspiring. And motivational.
I may have a half dozen entries before it's over.

I wanna use all stuff laying around for this one. Cheap old Bratz frame , some really cool "star" mags I've had a while and will have off road tires and bmx bars with a Nana seat. Sorta scrambler ish. I won't say what I'm doing but I will say that metallic red , blue , white , and gold can be pure EVEL!
IMG_20190918_203600628.jpg

Picked up this old junk for twenty bucks today.
20190921_122423.jpg

Couple of slightly bent moto bars.
And a couple of old chrome 20" rear wheels that I thought might be able to use in the buildoff. And be a good way to learn wheelbuilding. Only 20 spokes on the Torpedo Boy and 28 on the Bendix 70, so I hoped I could make some super duty spokes fit in there.

The guy also had a bunch of old motorcycle and what looked to be moped wheels.
I wondered if I could use the smaller ones somehow. A couple had good knobby tires on them. But they were heavy.

I guess I started my current build a little too early, it would have been perfect for this build off.

Well my back doctor cleared me too start minor lifting and working. So I'll be in again this year. Really hoping for a class aside from muscle bike but the frame i have will work either way
TWO classes brother...
Muscle Bike, rules as usual. Bigger back tire, banana seat, ape hangers, must have 2 out of 3.
AND...
20" or smaller bikes, including but not limited to BMX styles.

Carl.

With all this talk of having an under 21" class plus the standard MBBO
I thought i would show my 2nd place bike from a few MBBO ago
just to show how only needing to match 2 out of the 3 requirements cans still produce some varied designs
plus it gives me a chance to show off the upgraded hbars I recently acquired for this bike

G/T Rapid Transit System

Originally the back wheel was a 700/28 and a 1.35 tire kickback coaster brake
temporarily now bike is shown with a 26 x 2.125 due to what turned out to be a BB issue
and not an issue with the original rear tire
48782268846_ab68c3c7f4_o.jpg

Hbars off a K2 brand bicycle
much better fit in both looks and ridability than the original straight bar that I had mounted on
48782514986_8cbd87fc7f_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back