Franken Tandem gallery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 girls bikes, that's a bit unusual.
BF Goodrich and a World. Both built by Schwinn.
The ad listing suggests it's some rare antique. Sure.

franken.tandem.Schwinn.Woodlands.jpg

Was the back half shortened/lowered?

Not shortened or lowered. It was two different bikes welded together.

Based on the decals, the front of the frame looks to have been a Schwinn Woodlands mountain bike made of Reynolds 500. 700c road fork, road wheels. Back half? Don't know. It's on eBay. You could email the seller to see if he has any photos with riders on it.

Wooden recumbent rickshaw. Not really a tandem, but...
I sat on it one time and the frame flexed a lot.
fcbc12.jpg

Built by the "Ag" class where I went to high school.
20151003_095653.jpg

They also have a sense of humor. They put a drag chute on it

Last edited:
In the original post, @Rickpaulous
mentions that he built a quad some years ago. Last year I came across a couple of Murray middleweights that were really cheap so I bought them for the accessories - tires, wheels, handlebars, etc. I drew up some plans to make a quadracycle from them. Has anyone done this? If so, what are/were the pros and cons of the build. Here's a picture of my drawing.
20200319_175553.jpg

There were commercial kits for bolting two bikes side by side. I've seen one not on a bike but the owner wasn't willing to part with it at the time, plus that particular model looked rather flimsy.

The book Atomic Bicycle Builders Bonanza has a chapter on how to do the steering linkages for 2 front wheels. Keeping the front wheels parallel won't work. I see you have notes on just that issue.

When I built my first quad using 2 tandems, I considered doing them side by side but then I realized it would not fit in the garage door and would take up a lot of space. my Inline bicycle for 4 fits through the 32" entry door and the long and skinny quad doesn't hog as much space as a small car. There have been a few commercial side by side 4 wheelers. the Rhodes Car is one that comes to mind. Some with bench seats, some with 4 rider positions. I saw one on Ragbrai where they added an awning to keep the sun and rain away, a large cooler on the back, lights, sound system. It was a rolling party. They needed it all as their speed was very slow and it could take until after dark to finish each days distance. One big advantage is no balancing needed which can work for the elderly or handicapped riders.

Of course there's the Pedal Pub in Omaha's Old Market District
08-20-2015_2-42-17_PM_large.jpg

"Very Old Schwinn Tandem 2 Seat Bike - 1 Repaint - Looks Very Complete - Good"

Lots of Schwinn parts on this one. Anyone recognize either frame that went in to making this "Schwinn Tandem"? I see the rear frame has rear dropouts facing the rear with adjusters. Schwinn: wheels, seats, fenders, rear crank, grips. Looks like the front frame top tubes were cut, bent down and rewelded. ???

Founders.IPA.All.Day.jpg
seat.tube.with.owies.jpg

Last edited:
I see a spare coaster brake hub as the connecting chain tensioner "on top" where it takes the full pedaling pressure. The only good thing is the second rider has plenty of cockpit room.

franken.tandem.green.2.jpg
franken.tandem.green.jpg

ebay:

Vintage. made from 2 Bikes. With 2 badges Huffy & Roadmaster - Good. Bike was welded together from 2 bikes years ago ( picture no 4 shows rear fork where welded to front bike ). Appears to originally been Red now green. Paint is bad with plenty of nicks & scratches. Bike appears to be mostly complete except for non original seat ( 1 Has Persons Mfg Co name on it ). Bike has 2 badges - front Has HUFFY on it - Rear Badge has ROAD MASTER on it. Springer shocks have a lot of old paint on coils. Has a New Departure Model D Chrome Hub. Drive train & chains looks good. Bike needs a complete restoration. Do believe this to be a composite of 2 very old bikes to make a 1 Off Tandem bike. THIS BIKE HAS GREAT BONES FOR RESTORATION. Has the vintage old 30s CAPE COD Look - FOR PICKUP

In the original post, @Rickpaulous
mentions that he built a quad some years ago. Last year I came across a couple of Murray middleweights that were really cheap so I bought them for the accessories - tires, wheels, handlebars, etc. I drew up some plans to make a quadracycle from them. Has anyone done this? If so, what are/were the pros and cons of the build. Here's a picture of my drawing.View attachment 115350

Ah, the social tandem, or Sociable. Yes, I made one from two Basman frames put together.
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg

IMG_1036 (1).jpeg
IMG_1037 (1).jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg
IMG_1006 (1).jpeg

IMG_0908.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg
IMG_1132.jpeg

Ok, not technically a tandem but creative placement of butts