UnFair Lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came up on this , I showed my wife, she says wow that's a nice bike !
Then I told her it was her old bike .
I think she wants it back ! Lol
Its gonna be cool watching the transformation, after waiting all this time :thumbsup:

Just came up on this , I showed my wife, she says wow that's a nice bike !
Then I told her it was her old bike .
I think she wants it back ! Lol
Its gonna be cool watching the transformation, after waiting all this time :thumbsup:
Tell her thanks! The tank will be removable so we might can work out getting it back to her when I'm done. :happy:
I'm glad to finnally get this going!

Hey I've got a ten speed in my other garage I'll be picking for parts tomorrow. It has bar end shifters that take the place of the plugs on the end of the drop handle bars. Shouldn't be too hard to find one. Might be just the shifter you need to mod.

Carl.

Bar end shifters:
sh1kit-5_1600x.jpg

Wow , I still have the pic I sent you back in 2017 .

View attachment 107652
That's the one!

I haven't done anything lately on this little project.

I've been side tracked on this SK that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I need to start a seperate build thread for it.
IMG_1475.JPG

And no, it will not get a TRM tank.:D

Any work on the UFL lately? Or has that older, more elegant gal still got your attention? :grin:

Dare I say it? It's only an opinion, so I will. I like your tank design for the little lady even more than your original. It's perfect.
That's awesome!
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I hope that everyone feels the same way as you do when it's done!:)

The Silver King is finished and up for sale HERE.
index.php

It's time to get back on the UFL.
Shelving it for the past several weeks has given me a chance to look at it again with fresh eyes. That's a good thing at this point before sculpting the shape.

I finally took a few minutes and stuck a springer fork on the frame to have a look. Of course it has me rethinking the front end of the tank.
The plan from the start has been to make a tank that will not impede the use of a springer fork.
After seeing the fork on the frame it is apparent that the design will need to be amended to make it work. I'm just glad that I figured this out now instead of later.

Fork conflict.jpg

Have you looked into the different methods manufacturers used to keep the springers forks from hitting their tanks? A stop placed somewhere may just be the thing you need. RARELY do we ever need to turn our forks that sharp.

Carl.

AND upon a closer look I believe you should turn the bottom of the head tube to face forward.

I'm more interested in creating a tank that minimizes the issue before it's ever a problem.

Schwinn addressed this subject many decades ago with the Phantom tank.
Pantom tank and fork.jpg

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the head tube.:39:

Hey Jim,
Just noticed you mounted a ‘vintage’ springer with an offset yoke (it’s actually flipped in the mock-up). My concern is, the point where a ‘new’ springer would touch the frame is actually further back.
To be sure any ‘Schwinn-style’ fork will work, you’ll have to flip the yoke on the existing fork (that’s the ‘normal’ position). Doing that would have fork even further back on the frame.
Granted, we’re probably talking about ~2ish” of fore-to-aft positioning, but you might want to consider it.

I can’t wait to see the TRM solution to this old issue. Build on bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back