Long BMXXX DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's looking much better. I don't really know the look you are going for, have you considered moving the seat back and the BB forward? It looks like you are losing ground clearance on the pedals.
I have lost some ground clearance, But I originally had nine inches at the pedals lowest point and I think the frame is where I want it. What does that leave us to modify? The fork. That's where I think I can gain some clearance back. even though I won't need much for this urban curb hopper. As far as the look... A ridiculous long BMX, a squished 10 speed with 20" wheels.

Carl.

CarT:eek:NS BMX
It's long AND tall (& nota kids bike ;))
2828ab8d2ff9c12f1978fa23d091b397.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk [emoji88]

Last edited:
Yeah CarT:eek:ns BMX. It just came to me. I looked over at the tall bars hanging on a hook and thought; Why not? So I got a bit of a lift out of changing the fork to one for a 26" and now it's like 3" or so at the lowest point in the pedal rotation and that's a stock kick stand from a 26" frame. I'm thinking the curbs around here will be safe. The craziest thing is that is comfortable enough right where it's at. I probably could finish the CarTOONs aspect of it without too much work. So now I pause and ponder...

Carl.

I'm curious whether the length will add leverage, increase force on the headset/fork.
Can't wait to see how it will look with a human sized rider.

Filled in many tack welds. Smoothed a few out. Really thinking about paint but today I need to pick up some gusset material.
9e1d8f72558f8c0240aac6dd35805d2d.jpg
9a0cda732fabf00842ef09968fbbd78c.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

One step forward and not two back but at least one sideways... Twin brakes ain't happening here. I'm a bit disappointed but the chainline is what it is and I'm done messing with it. So it's in the way for a second brake, I suppose it'll be cleaner with less cables...
Not much said about CarT:eek:ns BMX so I'm thinkin' those bars ain't stayin' either. I don't have my paint scheme either so I'm still flipping pages in my head for that too. I keep telling everybody else there's plenty of time but I have another build I want to start so...

Carl.

Tall apes kind of kill the "bmx" for me but they look great from a cartoonish viewpoint. I'm just following along and waiting to see what you finally settle on. From your previous threads I've noticed you try a bunch of different bars and stuff as you go along

Tall apes kind of kill the "bmx" for me but they look great from a cartoonish viewpoint. I'm just following along and waiting to see what you finally settle on. From your previous threads I've noticed you try a bunch of different bars and stuff as you go along
Yes I do. Sometimes I know what the final will be. But it's more fun to see what others think too. The tall bars could've been modded into BMX with a crossbar and a plate. It was Cartoons for sure.

Carl.

Yes I do. Sometimes I know what the final will be. But it's more fun to see what others think too. The tall bars could've been modded into BMX with a crossbar and a plate. It was Cartoons for sure.

Carl.

Now that ^ would make it really Cartoonish! Crossbar and big ol' number plate!

When I first saw the bars on it, for some reason I thought it would be perfect for Magilla Gorilla. As I don't know you, and didn't want to say something that would be taken the wrong way, I kept my mouth shut.

You absolutely nailed the cartoon look.

Last edited:
When I first saw the bars on it, for some reason I thought it would be perfect for Magilla Gorilla. As I don't know you, and didn't want to say something that would be taken the wrong way, I kept my mouth shut.

You absolutely nailed the cartoon look.
Thanks!
A frame like that requires something outlandish!
There's an older build of mine called ALiEN FiRE.
DSC00595.JPG

The tall bars belong on that bike. I'm not the first guy ever, but nobody here had done the underslung bars coming out of a gooseneck inserted thru the bottom of the fork before (that I could find) and if you go back thru my builds I almost always try to do some crazy bars (and the tall bars make an appearance at some point cuz ya just gotta see...) I'm waiting on a couple parts. But expect something "outlandish" for sure.

Carl.

Last edited:
Got a start on the gussets. One on each side in the front. Also got a good start on stripping the paint. I'm thinking a black wash afterwards filling in all the nooks and crannies.
234dacbb3da15432248db58bed81b025.jpg
87d44e3d54845d82dd4cb1c5bd0271ad.jpg
266b8288d0b3dd83587234916d21dcd0.jpg

In the words of @CRASH "It looks like monkeys welded it." But ya gotta run what ya brung and all I have here is a cruddy fluxwire feeder. So it's tack, tack, tack... gussets over homemade lugs.

Carl.

Last edited:
So I need a long brake cable...
Punch list is small though.
Decide on wheels n' tires.
Rear fender/mud deflector?
Black wash, clear coat,
and Grips.
9cda7c1cc8897ba85460865a48c250c0.jpg

e0b1059814a7018acc15ef630e20a334.jpg

Carl.