Top Fool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! When you widen the stays for tire clearance, it widens the brake bosses. As much as I didn't want to mess with them, they are coming off and getting redone.

It's always a challenge when we use conventional pike parts for unconventional builds.

And your build, sir, is very unconventional! :bigsmile::wink1:

Unconventional and at times very frustrating. One good thing, I'm keeping my problem solving skills busy.

As the Rat always warns for every step forward your going to take two steps back . Rat on .

I've done a very good job of that so far.

Just need to do some clean up on the welds.

PC220876.jpg

After some grinding and a LOT of hand filing, it's almost ready for filler. I need my front tire to see about a kickstand, I'm assuming with such a short stand, having it just the right length is important.

PC220877.jpg

PC220878.jpg

Last edited:
The good news,
The frame, forks, and rear suspension are in primer!

The bad news,
I can't come up with any color, or design for it.:confused:

Sparkplug?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not a plug.

I used the wrong gun to prime the frame, it was because I wanted to keep the overspray to a minimum in the basement. I have a squirrel cage fan to exhaust the area, it will keep up with my HVLP touch up gun and airbrushes, but nothing more. Because of this it sprayed very grainy and I had to put it on heavy, that's OK, I wanted to have plenty to sand down and fill some scratches.

I've got the frame sanded down, other than the area where I welded the top tube extension, it looks like it needs very little finishing. I think with a bit of filing I can clean that area up quickly. There is a slight indent on the down tube right by the BB that needs to be filled.

This is the bad side

PC270902.jpg

Dang it, I forgot to prime the chaingaurd!

Last edited:
Round two of filling and sanding on the frame is done, it's ready for primer.

PC280903.jpg

I drilled mounting holes in the chainguard, and I was finally smart enough to roughly put the drivetrain back together and see if there will be any conflicts with bolts and chain. Sure enough, the bottom two outside ones needed to be moved. After redrilling and welding the old ones, it was ready for some filler. It, too, is ready for primer.

PC280904.jpg

Latest posts

Back