BO15 HOMEMADE SHINE has a totally different look!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally had a fresh idea that I want to play around with. Probably have 25 or more projects, but nothing was jumping out at me. Then I was inspired by one of the current builds. Starting with a '71 Huffy Dragster frame. I cannot describe what's going to happen with it, because I don't even know yet. But I have a basic idea. As a rule, I only use original paint bikes. This one is original paint (Petty Blue), but I am considering actually painting it (if that is the direction the build follows). I am torn because real rat rods don't have shiny paint. So, this one might end up a custom. I usually have a complete, or almost complete plan in my head before I start a build. This one will have to tell me what it wants to be. I have no idea what the final product will look like.
DSCN1125.JPG
DSCN1126.JPG
DSCN1127.JPG

Last edited:
You always have fun with your builds, so it will be fun to see this one evolve

Tim, good to see you aboard the BO #15 train! I dig the frame design, and that color is one of my favorites. But, if you do paint it and it gets shiny, your custom 'shiny rat' will be just fine! I'm hoping so, because mine is going to be shinier'n noon day sun!

Nah, just a bit of internet searching.
Your build, this one, mine and several others have been in the shiny/polishing territory, so, sensing a theme, I went down an internet RATbit hole. :21:

Tim, good to see you aboard the BO #15 train! I dig the frame design, and that color is one of my favorites. But, if you do paint it and it gets shiny, your custom 'shiny rat' will be just fine! I'm hoping so, because mine is going to be shinier'n noon day sun!
Hi Lee! Of course, I was just kidding about painting it. So not a "shiny rat". More like a "rusty custom". That would be a good name for it! Rusty Custom! I almost called it " A bike with no name". Mostly because the name I will change it to later would give away what I am going to do with it. Even the name is going to "evolve".

I propose that we have a "shiniest bike" contest. Yep, those shiny rat pictures that SkyknightJohn posted have given me a whole new direction of inspiration. Just wait until you see what I am going to do! :giggle:

EVOLVER is drastically evolving. Completely switching pathways on this one. I am going to use a different frame for this build. It's going to get a new name also. I am going back to my rule of only using bikes from the mid-30's to the mid-50's. But I am going to break one of my other rules. It will have a non-original finish. Still working out all of the details. I will be gathering all the parts I need in the next few days. Should be ready to unveil it all next week.

My original plan with this '71 Huffy Dragster frame was to cut out the seat tube completely to make an Elgin Twin Bar 20" custom of some kind (mostly just to mess with Kingfish!). The proportions are almost perfect to make a 3/4 scale Twin Bar. I still might do it but it, I would have a hard time cutting up a nice original frame. Should I do it ??? Would I have to switch to class 2 ???
DSCN1126.JPG
DSCN1127.JPG
DSCN1125.JPG

21edbb6bde40ec164ddc3cc46a4f6e07.jpg

IDK what the collectors value of that frame is. Besides destroying the frame by cutting it up - there is the question how will it structurally work without the seat tube.
Richard-and-Lee.jpg

As you know, build off bikes must be ridden, no cheating. :bandit:
images

Manufacturers are cheap, if they didn't need the seat tube to support the riders weight I'm sure they would eliminate it to save $.
43Jr_06_2000.jpg

As a big fan of Richard Petty & Nascar in the 60's and 70's, I would exploit the power of that awesome "electric blue" paint. Perhaps keep the frame "stock" and amp up the "racing angle".
images

If you want to experiment with seat tube removal, I would try it on a old wall mart freebie bike - and if it collapses when riding or even sitting on it - so what.
3a8d2de3921c696f91c05230b7e45196.jpg

Of course it's TOTALLY up to you to follow your inspiration.:dance2:

My new build-off bike has arrived! I am either going to move the blue Huffy frame to the class 2 build-off, or not use it at all. So, on to the new idea. It's not going to be a rat because it has no rust. I really prefer to stay with the mid-30's through mid-50's bikes. So, staying within those parameters, I have acquired a very special 1948 Huffman Model 60. It has the original forks, chainring, cranks, kickstand, and wheels with the original New Departure D hubs. It's in amazing condition! A perfect starting place for a cool custom. And it's about as shiny as it can get. Everything has been CHROMED!
DSCN1128.JPG
DSCN1129.JPG
DSCN1130.JPG

Last edited:
21edbb6bde40ec164ddc3cc46a4f6e07.jpg

IDK what the collectors value of that frame is. Besides destroying the frame by cutting it up - there is the question how will it structurally work without the seat tube.
Richard-and-Lee.jpg

As you know, build off bikes must be ridden, no cheating. :bandit:
images

Manufacturers are cheap, if they didn't need the seat tube to support the riders weight I'm sure they would eliminate it to save $.
43Jr_06_2000.jpg

As a big fan of Richard Petty & Nascar in the 60's and 70's, I would exploit the power of that awesome "electric blue" paint. Perhaps keep the frame "stock" and amp up the "racing angle".
images

If you want to experiment with seat tube removal, I would try it on a old wall mart freebie bike - and if it collapses when riding or even sitting on it - so what.
3a8d2de3921c696f91c05230b7e45196.jpg

Of course it's TOTALLY up to you to follow your inspiration.:dance2:
I'm kind of a fan of Richard Petty also. He sat in my Challenger and signed the sunvisor.
DSCN0535 (1).JPG

Last edited:
This frame is really heavy duty. It was originally advertised as being built just as tough as the adult sized bike. The chainring is very unique and the bike is geared for cruising instead of speed. This bike must have been in great shape when it was all chromed because there is no evidence of pitting under the chrome anywhere. The forks are also very unique. Very heavy duty and wide. My 3" wide tires will fit with plenty of room to spare. Actually, this thing will hold wider tires than most 26" bikes out there. Time to do a quick ride-able mock-up and see how it rides. Then I can start tweaking it to perfection!
1589300142539.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back