My new Schwinn Paramount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found this on Saturday hanging on a mailbox with a sign that said free bikes. This was the only one still there when I got there. The tip was from my mailman. I guess ordering all kinds of bike parts that are too big for my mailbox made him aware of my bike faddis. I want to know a little more about it. I think its from around 1990, Tange double butted steel with lugs. Six speed cassette shimmano group set. What can you tell me about this bike? Beautiful condition and my size.
701DFF07-B4C8-439D-84D4-C541ACF63EDA.jpeg
19E876C6-C226-4444-ACE4-87DF24E24F21.jpeg
957C253E-7A0F-4E63-83B3-CE3FF4B6835F.jpeg
ED4E1D27-6E0E-40DE-88A9-DF2E2F98DE19.jpeg

I have a 1992 OS 2pdg Paramount. May have been made in Japan. Esage components? Some were still built in US. They were around $600 new.
b0e95e98dd7ea37184a416604f17281a.file

Mine had the arrow bar bolt on. I took It of as I didn’t think it was original. It was too short and I have Popeye arms so they don’t fit in the elbow rests. Perhaps they are original?

I added my step bars and changed the wheelset out for the Rolf set. The originals were Ayra.

I added my step bars and changed the wheelset out for the Rolf set. The originals were Ayra.
Thanks for that info, I will leave the step bars off. I wish I could find the year. The Schwinn and Paramount sites don’t have one with the same colors. I already have some nice road bikes but this is the nicest.

What is the Series number on top bar? Can’t quite make it out.

Japan has made some great road bikes.
Saint Sheldon (and many others, myself included) feel that the Ishiwata Bianchis were better bikes than the Italian ones when Bianchi farmed out to Japan. My first road resto was an Ishiwata Bianchi around 2008 and it was a super nice bike. The recipient still rides it and gets compliments on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 151
This color combo for a road bike is not shown in any period Schwinn catalogues that I could find. I could only find it on mountain bikes. I did find a post from someone who owns on he bought new. He claimed that it is a team issue bike and sold as a frame set only. His has campy group set and his friends was built with Shimano. The former owner of mine must have been serious. The blog site responder said it had innovative short and very responsive geometry, that his toes hit the front tire, even when in the Look clips. I checked and my toe just touches the front tire in a max turn. Looks like it’s from 1988 to 1997. I’m still looking for more info or verification of what I could find on the net.

Tricolor cranks were until 99 and those gen two 600 ultegra dual pivot brakes are 91-97.
Thanks. Not bad for a free bike that fits me. I’ll continue to look at Schwinn catalogue. When I first saw it I thought 90s because of the Tange tubing. There is nothing on it stating if it was built in the USA or Japan. I’m thinking Japan.

Thanks. Not bad for a free bike that fits me. I’ll continue to look at Schwinn catalogue. When I first saw it I thought 90s because of the Tange tubing. There is nothing on it stating if it was built in the USA or Japan. I’m thinking Japan.

Pretty sure most of the PDG was built in Japan. The components probably all have date codes stamped on them should narrow it down. Easiest one to see is the two letters next to the crank arm length on the backside of the cranks.

1590589571874.png

Latest posts

Back