Westfield Century

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I made an offer on this prewar 28" inch Century on facebook today ?
1592949821382.png

1592949921828.png

I made an offer on this prewar 28" inch Century on facebook today ?
View attachment 126523
View attachment 126524
I'm looking at a real similar bike to this. The one I'm looking at has a New Departure model A rear hub which if my research is correct would make it 1928 or earlier, same Westfield coffin chainring, looks to be the same color under the rust. If you and I get them, we'll have to compare notes. I have always liked these motorbikes so I'm hoping it comes through.

Being part of the short people tribe I would rather have 19" frame that yours has . I might not be as comfortable on the 22" frame on mine . I wish I had that seat or A seat .
I'm happy for you , but stay away from my mad heifer's .

It seems that's the way it works, I'm tall. The seat sells for around what I paid for the whole bike so that was a big part of the buying decision. This one is going to take some studying to figure out how to build. I want it to be a reliable pathway rider when it's done.

I was thinking more of Cafe Motobike look , since I need bars anyway .
I have told that the McCauley tanks will fit ? This will probably end up being a barn wall hanger , until it finds a new owner ?

https://www.sutterstreetcruisers.com/online-store/NOS-1930s-Bicycle-Tank-p58765142
Yeah, the dimensions for the tank are listed. I like these with an exposed frame with the battery tube. Prices for parts seems to go way up the older the bikes are. I'm going to give mine an OA bath to see what is under the rust and decide which way to go from there. I'll scratch build the missing truss rods for sure.

Well, here is the surprise for the day. My bike is a 1933 too and was built 4347 bikes before yours, serial number L67647. It must have got ratrodded back when the internet was still run on the telegraph wires. The model A hub in the rear was added later in its life. The front hub is a ND model SM which would be correct (1927 - 1935). Now I won't feel any guilt at all about ratrodding it, it's the the sequel. I have a couple of ND model D hubs so I can make it kinda correct if I go that way. Can I borrow a heifer?

20200628_162059.jpg

No, I haven't been able to find any charts for the much older Westfields. You probably have to get it close by components. Which hub is on the rear? There might be a date on the crank.
Westfield serial numbers are easy, just look at any Columbia serial number chart, Westfield built Columbia bicycles.

Build a modern set of wheels, with vintage hubs and ride it like you stole it.

They are a blast.

This is my 1929 Westfield.
20190203_181137.jpg

Latest posts

Back