Cantilever mini-velo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone made a mini-velo out of a vintage or not so vintage cantilever frame (or other cool non diamond frame)?

Classic mini-velo for reference
1594832741340.png

A looptail would work with the cantilever concept mini-velo. I've looked at many, they all have a diamond frame except for some abstract styles, but all have straight tubes. Since the downtube would need to be curved to get the best look, you might as well start from scratch and build a frame.
If not a looptail, curved stays like a 50's CWC would have a nice look. The front of the frame could mimic the classic Schwinn or Murray, curved tubes and cantilevers. While you're at it, curve the seat tube like an Elgin. Frame size should be measured at about 16" or so to make it a bike for adults. Then you'll just need to finish it with an appropriate fork needing a long steerer to fit the 12 inch head tube. Like a cycle truck fork.

Last edited:
Ok, I did some drawing...

Based on 20" wheels and the geometry of the Velo-Orange Neutrino
Theoretically, should ride like a city bike
View attachment 129292
That looks good.
I would curve the topbar to somewhat follow the cantilever and attach a little lower on the headtube. Then make the rear a looptail with a nice curve in the chain stay that flows right up through the downtube to the headtube. The BB may have to attach above the bars. Then a slight backward curve to the seat tube topped off with a Brooks saddle and flat handlebars.
As long as I'm dreaming, a homemade springer fork with long springs would finish it off. It would have a vintage look to it.

a homemade springer fork with long springs would finish it off. It would have a vintage look to it.
I was gonna do a springer, but couldn't be bothered figuring out the angles without changing the relationship of the head tube to the front wheel.

I flipped this Dahon Hammerhead years ago. Not a canti, but a killer non folding minivelo with an extremely cool springer fork.

IMG_1890.jpg

That looks good.
I would curve the topbar to somewhat follow the cantilever and attach a little lower on the headtube. Then make the rear a looptail with a nice curve in the chain stay that flows right up through the downtube to the headtube. The BB may have to attach above the bars. Then a slight backward curve to the seat tube topped off with a Brooks saddle and flat handlebars.
As long as I'm dreaming, a homemade springer fork with long springs would finish it off. It would have a vintage look to it.
Something like this?
1595009310537.png

Latest posts

Back