First time ever building a bike, completely new to the whole thing, advice and help welcome. Huffy Dragster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah, just like the title says, first time ever. Gonna build a bike. Bow chica bow bow... I guess I'm what they call a noob to the vintage bike scene though. So i'll tell you how I ended up here. My brother and I were at an estate sale, looking for some blacksmith tooling, machinist tooling and other stuff when out in the barn there was a pile of bikes. After picking up a bunch of the tooling, we had agreed to pick up the lot of bikes for pretty much nothing, because my brother wanted the early BMX stuff and some Ten Speed stuff, and I thought the banana bike seat was cool looking. So my brother sold off some parts and we got our money back and I had put the bike in a corner of the shop and kinda forgot about it. Fast forward a few years, I found it while cleaning out the shop and decided to do something with it. I know it's beat up, but I like it. I've been looking on the forum and haven't found much info specific to this bike, nor on the web. but hoping to find out as much as I can. It's a 65/66 Huffy Dragster. Here's everything I have that came with it. It was from the original owners estate. Obviously ridden hard, until she died. I will resurrect her!

Any help or advice on this would be soo appreciated. I'm in California by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 160
First big hurdle, I'm trying to find a front fork for the bike. This one that was on it is has a broken head tube, snapped in the middle of the threads and unrepairable. Does anyone have a lead on one? I've been watching Ebay, and the for sale forum here, other than that I'm not really sure where else to check. Here's a sample pic of what they look would look like, they do have the hole for the front brake at the bottom.
dragster forks ebay.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me what the correct pedals are for a dragster of this year range? mine are pretty bad, and I can't tell what they are.

First big hurdle, I'm trying to find a front fork for the bike. This one that was on it is has a broken head tube, snapped in the middle of the threads and unrepairable. Does anyone have a lead on one? I've been watching Ebay, and the for sale forum here, other than that I'm not really sure where else to check. Here's a sample pic of what they look would look like, they do have the hole for the front brake at the bottom.
View attachment 139595

Also, can anyone tell me what the correct pedals are for a dragster of this year range? mine are pretty bad, and I can't tell what they are.
Are you looking for OEM forks or just similar?

If you can braze or weld yourself, you could try replacing the steering tube or cut an intact one off an otherwise junk fork and weld that onto the old one (I would cut the tube on the fork you want pretty low down so that you could sleeve the inside where you put the new extension tube without the sleeve getting in the way of inserting the stem). I had a broken steer tube replaced on my 1912 Iver, but for what I paid, you'd most likely find a whole fork for cheaper. Unfortunately for me, finding a replacement Iver fork would have been a lot more money and would have taken who knows how much time to locate.

First... Welcome! I got bitten by the bug years ago, and got into restoring muscle bikes. Click the link on my signature below and you'll see what I've done, which includes a few Huffys, including one Dragster.

Second... where in California? I live in Visalia, just south of Fresno.

Third... I have the forks you need.

Forth... Here's the ad with your bike on it from '65.
Drag.PNG

Lastly... What's your goal? Complete restoration to like new? Something else?

First... Welcome! I got bitten by the bug years ago, and got into restoring muscle bikes. Click the link on my signature below and you'll see what I've done, which includes a few Huffys, including one Dragster.

Second... where in California? I live in Visalia, just south of Fresno.

Third... I have the forks you need.

Forth... Here's the ad with your bike on it from '65.
View attachment 139601

Lastly... What's your goal? Complete restoration to like new? Something else?
I'm in Bakersfield. Not too far from you.
I'm hoping to do a restoration for my first bike.

So these didn't have fenders?

I'll be in Turlock next weekend for the swap. would you want to sell those forks?

If you can braze or weld yourself, you could try replacing the steering tube or cut an intact one off an otherwise junk fork and weld that onto the old one (I would cut the tube on the fork you want pretty low down so that you could sleeve the inside where you put the new extension tube without the sleeve getting in the way of inserting the stem). I had a broken steer tube replaced on my 1912 Iver, but for what I paid, you'd most likely find a whole fork for cheaper. Unfortunately for me, finding a replacement Iver fork would have been a lot more money and would have taken who knows how much time to locate.
I can braze, but not confident enough in my welding to try that. If I had the missing piece I'd probably have my brother tig weld it but it's gone. I figured it might be easier to find another one.

I'm in Bakersfield. Not too far from you.
I'm hoping to do a restoration for my first bike.

So these didn't have fenders?

I'll be in Turlock next weekend for the swap. would you want to sell those forks?
Sure, but since you’re close, I’d recommend bringing up the frame so you can make sure they fit.

I’m off work this week. PM me if you want to set up a day and time to come by.

I will shoot you a message.

Is there a difference in the forks from year to year size wise? or is it based off models? I'm new to the bicycle thing, although I'm mechanically capable with other stuff. You've got some amazing bikes!

I will shoot you a message.

Is there a difference in the forks from year to year size wise? or is it based off models? I'm new to the bicycle thing, although I'm mechanically capable with other stuff. You've got some amazing bikes!
I am not sure if there is a difference between the headtube lengths of Dragsters through the years. I’m confident they’ll fit, but since you’re close, I thought it would be safer to test it. But, if you can’t make it up I can send it down to you.

@ChiknCoop it was nice to meet you and your Huffy in person today. I'm jealous of the restoration! lol I'm glad we got you situated with new forks and a complete headset.

The correct stem is a Wald #4 stem.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WALD-4-STE...cf33214:g:bIIAAOSwjRtbLpDX&LH_ItemCondition=3
The tires I mentioned:
Rear 'Knobby' Duro that is pretty close to an original rear tire
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-St...560603?hash=item3b2e578edb:g:JhwAAOSwkrFaZu8V
Front Duro brick pattern
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ORIGIN...034287?hash=item5b7b34132f:g:u3gAAOSwkmZfN5LP
The red grips I mentioned:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAG...636718?hash=item3da9bb692e:g:4tAAAOSw3tNfQU9Y

The more I think about your seat, the less I think someone will be able to recover it. If it's just going to be a showpiece when it's done, I think I would clean it up really well, and REALLY GENTLY... especially around that metallic border. And I'd look into a vinyl repair for the side.

It's just a really rare seat, and I don't think anyone is going to be able to make it nicer than you could get it with some cleaning.

It was great meeting you @CRASH , I appreciate all the information, and the parts! seeing those king size bikes really has me wanting to build one eventually! Thanks for the links for the additional parts, I was looking at the Wald No 4 last night.

I plan on riding the bike when it's done, so I'll have to see about getting it recovered if possible, If it's not, then cleaning and repair of the tear is what I'll have to do. Luckily, I have some connections to some of the best upholstery folks in the automotive world, so it might be something they can do.

Can anyone tell me what is the correct reflector and how it's mounted under the seat for this bicycle? is it a sissy bar clamp style or is it mounted to the seat? I can't seem to find a clear picture of one.

Looking for this particular head badge decal, anyone have one they might be willing to part with?
huffy dragster-headbadge.jpg

I scored this polo seat reflector today. NOS. Also my bike stand arrived last night. So I will be cleaning and disassembling the bike this weekend. I'll document everything, and be posting up here.
polo seat reflector.jpg

Latest posts

Back