1896 Overman Victor Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevermind you can see it here. I'll just put a tape measure on this other one for you
Screenshot_20200927-095917.png

Hang on I'll grab two chainwheels and some inch pitch to show you the difference. I think I have a block chain here. That one has the pyramid teeth so inch pitch should fit. That red one I posted has the older teeth and a new inch pitch chain. The master link is really simple.

Also the Wheelman have a list of manufacturer dates the company was open on the club page.

Thanks for all your help! I'm excited to get this. Will be sure to post some pics once its in my possession!

Log in and look at that hammer price. They have a "free trial" and yeah it's totally worth for starters man. I dip cyclocross tires in natural rubber so I can ride the old ones. Totally worth it. I actually leased this one to "The Son" on AMC and they rode the ship out of it on set. They legit wore through my coats of "nude?" rubber. Let me explain it this way; the studio payed me $1600 to rent it because they wanted to have a scene in Austin with bicycles in the background then i sold it for a grand with the saddle taped together and two flat fake tires. I am just sayin and this Reading Standard is a 1906 so yeah, the market is there and I deliberately "unrestored" "re antiqued it so it would look like it had been seeing a hard life in Texas on request. All after I rode the heck out of it.
View attachment 139667

Thats a beauty! And the idea of renting for TV/movie production is great. I'm not in it to buy this and just flip it. I'm all about owning it and riding it.... unles of course I found out its worth $15K after being restored... then I may consider it : )

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11374252_269x-1890-s-victor-bicycle-overman-wheel-company-woothis is a really old auction but i have seen them sell for knock your socks off prices. Do you have a live auctioneers or a worthpoint account you can look up hammer prices on those. Yours has the same seatpost arangement as this on, my 1899 had a collet hang on. Yeah dude nice bicycle. Keep in mind i have seen a, you have to log in to see hammer prices. this i just a good example of yours and yours is actually more complete

This one sold for $600 but has a listed value of $800-$1200

You can see where that inch by quarter inch comes into play here and I dropped some chain on an 1898 so you can see it fits
View attachment 139747View attachment 139748

Thanks! So seems I'll just need to do some measuring to confirm gap between is 1" and the overall length. A prewar 1" skiptooth should work, but a block chain may have been the period correct chain?

Yeah, in 2012 dollars at auction that's right on time

And I assume the value goes up slightly each year as these bikes get older? Im sure bicycle trends as well as antique values fluctuate as well. Cool to know the value, but at the end of the day, I'm in it to ride it and own an amazing piece of history as opposed to flipping for some quick bucks. Money is nice, but the joy I get from my bikes holds much more value. HUGE thanks for all your help! Also, loved your trike in the build off!! Definitely got my vote.

Latest posts

Back