Huffy "Dark" Vortex

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so. Don't want to jump the gun since I'm actually leaving to go pick this one up today.

But, this was alot kids grail bike in 1988. Its missing a whole lot but when you've amassed a good parts bin..

Screenshot_20201003-095733_Facebook.jpg

Ok so. Don't want to jump the gun since I'm actually leaving to go pick this one up today.

But, this was alot kids grail bike in 1988. Its missing a whole lot but when you've amassed a good parts bin..

View attachment 140344
I remember those!

Got it! And another fine ride

More to come.. 3 hr drive back

Attachments

• 20201003_173833.jpg
    20201003_173833.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 143
But Steve, why would you pay $60 for a shitbox rusted out department store bike that's missing all the hood parts you ask?

Well. Funny story, about 7 years ago I found a craigslist ad for $40 for a pile of scrap bikes, must take all. These were all piled up under someones deck, with a dark picture, but I saw 2 things that made me call an otherwise ignorance ad. A rusted raliegh with a nice brooks leather saddle and some smaller bike with wheel covers.

Nah, can't be.. but it was.. my childhood dream bike. Super rusted out and crunchy. The tires are literally baked hard on this one. Missing a bunch of stuff, but. It has the disc covers, and even 7-8 years bmx started going up in price. I knew these had value. Had to get them and figure it out later.

20201004_133457.jpg

What are the odds I get a bike and it's missing parts, then 7 years later I find the same bike, missing the opposite parts. I have it complete! Minus 1 brake lever at least!
But all the classic 80s plastic bits that hot lost and broken and removed, they're all there!!

20201004_133523.jpg

Theres actually an extra plastic bit on if you can spot it...

20201004_135407.jpg

Twins!

So here's my plan.
If you have noticed BMX is nuts now. $$$$. Last few complete sold versions of this bike in survivor condition got $500 including shipping.

I am going to fully restore the frame with better stickers and condition to be 100% factory correct with bars, white mx tires, short grips and red brake lines.

The 2nd bike will be I guess what will be considered my "build off bike" in this category. This will be the customized version.

The plastic wheel covers and frame bits can then be swapped between a fully restored collectors version and a fully rat-stored version that will look killer.

I've got some ideas and a part or 2 I've had laying around years that may find it's way in here.

I'm almost thinking a possible knight rider or tron theme!

Whatcha think???

Started breaking these down.
Sadly neither one has good stickers on both sides.

20201007_212706.jpg

The rat I'm ok with since I'll remove and repaint it anyways.

I've got a cricut now, so I'm going to go custom decals. I have a few vinyls, the coolest being 3m shadow black, which is a light reflective camo. I might even wrap the bike with this. It's some cool stuff. I did my car roof and trim in it. The camo pattern changes based on the angle of the light hitting it.

Latest posts

Back