Improving the Aldi bike stand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this stand from Aldi about four years ago, and I've seen that others here have them too.
csm_042617_S_94556_95970_BKM_BikeWorkStand_InUse_detail_alt2_7ec81cd8e4.jpg

It's pretty good considering that I paid beans for it, but not without its quirks.

Recently the clamp that holds the main arm and controls rotating the bike forward or back (relative to the bike, not the stand) has not been doing such a great job and I have to balance the bike perfectly on its center of mass to get it to stay level.
20201022_132419.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue with this or similar cheap stands?
What did you do to fix it?

I'm considering wrapping the bar in hockey tape to increase the friction, but it might be too much friction...

I got this stand from Aldi about four years ago, and I've seen that others here have them too.
View attachment 142353

It's pretty good considering that I paid beans for it, but not without its quirks.

Recently the clamp that holds the main arm and controls rotating the bike forward or back (relative to the bike, not the stand) has not been doing such a great job and I have to balance the bike perfectly on its center of mass to get it to stay level.
View attachment 142354

Has anyone else had this issue with this or similar cheap stands?
What did you do to fix it?

I'm considering wrapping the bar in hockey tape to increase the friction, but it might be too much friction...
I use Golf grip tape on my throttles and that might work better than hockey tape.

I have not had that problem . I am thinking possibility of getting oils from your hands on the structural bar. I would try cleaning the bar and inside of clamp. If that fails, I would lightly sandpaper the inside of the plastic tube.

I have not had that problem . I am thinking possibility of getting oils from your hands on the structural bar. I would try cleaning the bar and inside of clamp. If that fails, I would lightly sandpaper the inside of the plastic tube.
I don't think it's got oil in it, but it could be pretty polished on the inside just from use will try some sanding to rough it up a little.

I like mine pretty much as better than nothing. It's pretty delicate feeling but it works. The clamp is the weak spot for me. I have lost one of the orange pads that protect the frame of the bike, so I wrap it in a rag. the "toggle" function on the clamp has never really worked so I just screw it down to clamp it.

I had the bike clamp almost removed itself from the bar. I make sure to check it regularly.
I think the stand has some limitations, but as a whole, especially for the money I am happy with it.
I had this problem. I hammered the arm back in the clamp with a rubber mallet, possibly into the soft plastic a little, then tightened it up until the plastic around the retaining bolt changed color. It hasn't come off since.

My "fix" which did not work involved cutting strips of bike inner tubes to hold the soft plastic jaws on the hard plastic clamps. They kept slipping off, then one day the jaw was just - gone, never to be seen again. :cry:

I don't know how long would it last in a bike shop, but a pro wouldn't buy it, I guess. But for a few hours weekly it is holding well.
Swapping forks was always a chore before I had it. For many procedures the kickstand or flipping the bike upside down was good enough, but I must have also toppled a bike over many times and made a ruckus while not paying attention how I move around. Not anymore.
I also find that bike stand awesomely stable - I once tripped over it and practically fell on it and it didn't even shake, only moved a foot or so to the side, but the feet remained on the floor.
Also the tray is useful, I found.

Take the arm out and drill a series of hole around a line around the circumference. Drill a next size smaller hole in the stand and thread it for a small machine screw. Put it back together so that any hole in the arm lines up with the hole in the stand. Run the screw down the post into the hole in the arm. It won't move. Not infinitely adjustable but better than slipping. Same principle as is on my engine stand. The engine stand holds a 550 lb big block Buick engine.

Latest posts

Back