Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where are we with the idea of rules for this build off?
I'm thinking I might need to start a file....
Or at least get some notes before it all gets filed away...

Carl.

So where are we with the idea of rules for this build off?
I'm thinking I might need to start a file....
Or at least get some notes before it all gets filed away...

Carl.
The rules so far

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...buildoff-challenge.112919/page-2#post-1165134
In addition to what's in that post I've also clarified for Falstaff, that it doesn't strictly have to be a knife if you want to make another bladed tool or weapon, like an ace or a sword. But if you do stray away from making a knife, it needs to be to make something awesome. Sharpening and relacing your ice skates is not awesome.

The rules so far

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...buildoff-challenge.112919/page-2#post-1165134
In addition to what's in that post I've also clarified for Falstaff, that it doesn't strictly have to be a knife if you want to make another bladed tool or weapon, like an ace or a sword. But if you do stray away from making a knife, it needs to be to make something awesome. Sharpening and relacing your ice skates is not awesome.
Added the Falstaff rule to the rules post

I've been researching my knife build the past couple of weeks. I don't have access to a forge, or have the need to build one. So I will be using already hardened and tempered steel.

Lots of vids on Youtube of guys using circular and table saw blades. That will be my material of choice for my blade. I'm in the Sonoran Desert for the winter, and my uncle has a little 'ranchette' down here, just north of Tucson between three mountain ranges in the Oro Valley. I brought back some mesquite tree trimmings for our kiva and I will use some of that for my handle.

My tool selection down here is pretty sparse. I do have an angle grinder, which I've used for a couple bike and kitchen projects. I might have to add something else, that could be used here and at home. We shall see.

Got this blade at Goodwill, on Senior Day for 50% off the tagged price.
received_260854398720039.jpeg

received_3625878840862468.jpeg

And a prospective piece of mesquite...

received_3887954184596044.jpeg

received_419197142534735.jpeg

I mess around with lots of stuff.. I've got a micro forge setup for stuff 4"-5" stuff and smaller. This is a straight razor from a couple years ago that I'm finally putting an edge on. I made it with .25" O1tool steel, a baldor bench grinder, lots of hand filling and a dremel..its not perfect by any means but will serve well as a box cutter for parts at work.
16107233109018188831531968318675.jpg
U
16107233668872921712661683561572.jpg

In:
@OddJob
@ifitsfreeitsforme
@Swampthing
@hamppea
@SSG
@Oak Tree
@Short Stuff
@barnbikes
@GuitarlCarl
@Captain Awesome
@Falstaff
@Verrt

On the fence (being a baby):
@MattiThundrrr

=================================

Not a bike build challenge, but I was inspired by @OddJob's model kit bash, and I feel it's kinda on theme for the audience here.

I made this a few months ago, I think I posted it here somewhere, can't remember.
View attachment 146999
By made, I mean I took a cheap knife from Menards with decent steel and a thick spine.
Broke off the thin plastic grips, polished the matte finish off. Cut some brass rod into pins, attached and shaped some handle scales made from a whiskey barrel. Now I have a $50 knife instead of a $10.99 knife.

Sounds pretty rat rod to me!

So, the challenge. I have some more scales and a couple of knife blanks I'd like to get to, and thought it could be fun to do with others in the spirit of friendly competition.
View attachment 147011

At this stage just looking for expressions of interest. Any any skill or ambition level welcome! If you've never done anything like this before or you're an ABS Master smith. Whether you got a build your own knife kit for Christmas, wanna powder coat and flamejob your trusty pocket knife, or you're gonna hand forge a new knife from an old file!

Plus it can be done on a small workbench indoors, for those here in cold winter climates who usually work on their bikes in the yard.

Any type of knife welcome, too. A bike themed pocket knife could be cool. :39:

This would be my second knife build ever. So bar for entry is not high. You can seriously do this with a small block of hardwood, almost any fine work saw, some epoxy, a bunch of sand paper or a file, and an old kitchen knife.

Timeline would probably be three months, starting when enough people said they were interested. Jan 1 would be the absolute earliest start. Would be neat to see at least three people on board, including myself.

Hit up this thread if you're keen!

Ideas and suggestions appreciated, even if the suggestion is "This is a bike forum, take this somewhere else!"
I’m in. It will be extremely simple.

who hacked my account and said I was in for this?? haha.
when is the deadline?
I might have to reconsider. This may be beyond my simple skill sets.

I'm in. Please put me on the list. Thanks and Be Well, Short Stuff.
Already on there :)

who hacked my account and said I was in for this?? haha.
when is the deadline?
I might have to reconsider. This may be beyond my simple skill sets.
Starts Feb 1, ends April 30

If your worried about skill level, don't. Start with a "Build your own" kit, which is basically a knife blank, two scales, and and some pins. You can aslo put the same supplies together real easily without it being a "kit"

Other than that all you need is some 2 part epoxy, sand paper, and a saw of some kind. Power sander and a coping saw, and files, will make things easier, but not strictly necessary.

The only experience I had when I did the knife in the first post is watching episodes of Forged in Fire. Seriously, I didn't even finish my final woodshop project back in high school.
You look closely and you can see it was no expert who did it, but good enough for fun and to get a couple of oohs online!

Get this. $25
CNCB2484HC_1.jpg

And these $5
154607.0.jpg

These. $5
31MV1QZCOML._AC_SY400_.jpg

And this. $12
51W7rxQNkeL._AC_SY400_.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hmmm
I don’t have a forge, but I do have a torch and can grab some bricks.
I Don’t think I’ll need epoxy, but most of what I own is held together with JB Weld so it’s here if I need it.
Don’t plan on buying anything, I have an old worn out file, and if needed some other old tools and maybe even an old circular saw blade.
I have some cool bits of wood sitting around, some of it salvaged from firewood, others left over from old projects or cut off of stuff I salvaged and some copper that might make decent pins.
My project might be crude, but it will be fun, and hopefully functional.

Just to be clear for everyone, especially newcomers to this thread. There's no requirement in the challenge that you forge your own blade.

You can, but you don't have to.

:thumbsup: stock removal

its-da-coolest.jpg

Latest posts

Back