AMF 'Renegade 5'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the multispeed chain today. I shaved the teeth of the front sprocket so the would fit into the tighter chain. Did a couple teethe and tested, and it worked, so shaved the rest. Turns out that the length between each link is slightly shorter, not just thinner. Since that sprocket is an AMF icon, I can't just replace it since I haven't found and Aerobee sprocket for sale (I'm assuming they are correct) either that, or the Aerobee just used a single speed chain in a multi speed set up. I'm going to try that since I don't have another choice. Hopefully I can make it work.

I should have progress on the welding this week, then final mock up, then tear down and paint.

Are you sure about the chain issue? I have used single speed chains on thinner multi speed sprockets in the past, stands to reason it should work the other way once it is thinned...
Looking at sprocket cutting programs, both sprockets use the same indexing and pin size...

Luke.

Some major progress and a bit of a disappointing set back. First the progress:

I've never welded and don't have the equipment. I met a guy around the corner building his own hot rods. He offered to help me out.

Remember the fender tabs that were in the way of the chain? Not anymore.

lpiu.jpg

And the sissy bar wouldn't mount with the derailleur there? Well... we cut the back of the dropouts off and added some length of 10 gauge steel.

7wx0.jpg

c5nk.jpg

uske.jpg

Yes, the last 3 on the serial is 666. No, I had no desire to work "The Beast" into the build. :p So, I'm going to drill two holes back there... hopefully straight and even with each other. And I'll take a bolt and nut and attach the sissy back there.

And lastly, I lost the fender tab that fell off. :roll: I'm sure I'll find it soon. But since this might have been a one shot deal, I needed to get it done. So, we fabbed one out of some thin metal he had. It doesn't look fantastic, and it's a little thin, but I think it will work, and it won't really be seen.

xhbu.jpg

The disappointment: He didn't think we had time to fab the fork like I wanted. He had to leave the state, so we only had tonight. The plan was to weld in some sort of box so I could mount the fender and front brake, then make a set up for a faux spring. I've put out a call on Facebook to see if there is anyone who can help me. It will push my schedule back, but I'd rather do it the way I want it. So I may really be down to the wire on this.

I saw that you were having issues with the wheel lacing if you thread both side through before you start to put on nipples you wont have to bend the heck outta the spokes

and use little 2 inch roto lock 3M sand paper disks on a small right angle grinder for your smoothing of welds it make life 1,000 times easier

c1run1 said:
getting there buddy ! you guys are aking me feel like a chump cause i really ddnt do any fabrication work .
A frame as killer as that needs no fabrication.

A teaser... the fork fab is done. Didn't use the original *shade tree chopper fork* I had to for it, so I'll use that in another, simpler build. I went with a late '60's springer look, since this is a '69 frame. I'm way behind and have lots to do and little time to do it, but I'm trying.

y97r.jpg

Brother I like that look. Bolt that beast together! Paint is extra and a tough bike don't need it!:showingbiceps:

Lookin good,keep it up.
Also I have had the chain issue when I swap out parts.Some sizes don't fit the gear chains.

Me thinks this fork is waaay batter, looks great!

Fork looks great & so does the rear hub. I've wanted to build a 20" wheel using the rear hub out of my Spyder 500. Glad to see you are doing it. Looks fantastic so far. Keep up the progress!

Latest posts

Back