GLENDERSON - [winter build off]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great videos, great bike and great to see some greenery, we have had
a hot dry summer and many people are running out of water, we are on
tanks and they are all empty!
Wow! What do you do when the whole island runs out of water? Is there a natural spring or bore on the island?

Luke.

Wow! What do you do when the whole island runs out of water? Is there a natural spring or bore on the island?

Luke.
Sorry for the water Hi-jack Glen look at it as a bump, we are all low
and there are storage tanks but it costs a lot of $. The well water
gets really salty and brackish if it hasn't rained for a while. The plan
is if it doesn't rain soon the two weekly ship will bring water as ballast!

I've been looking at all that snow in America and thinking why can't
we have some?!

we have some?!
Wow!

Luke.

we have some?!

No worries... I am interested too.

That saying "the grass is always greener..." is quite true. Many people would look at an Island like Lord Howe and think it is an idyllic paradise... which I am sure is true in most respects... but there is always something to take the shine off. Running out of water for instance.

And speaking of water and green grass... yes, it is quite green here at the moment due to some rain recently. There are a lot of folks on tank water around here too so they would have been happy to see the rain.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Glen.

we have some?!
Well if I knew how to send to you all the snow in my yard I would be glad to. You would get about 506 sq meter by 2.44 meters deep of water when it melts. :D

Yeah, it's too bad water from other places can't be funneled to where it's needed. :39:

Down in Christchurch, where I'm from, they just had 111mm of rain in something like 18 hours and the stormwater drains are still bad from the earthquakes, not to mention the fact that places in the city sunk by half a meter or so, meaning lots of flooding and evacuations again. :banghead:

Looks like even the rain knew it was an emergency stopping at 111mm... 111 is the emergency phone number in New Zealand. o_O

Too much water in one place and not enough in another. Storm water is pretty useless though with all the contamination in it :confused:

Melting snow is the way to go :thumbsup:

Glen.

Gidday folks,

I took Glenderson for it's first ride into town the other day and was quite amazed at how well it rides. Brake not the best, but very nice to ride.

The guy at the bike shop loves it and asked to take it for a ride. He rode it down his driveway and POP, the front wheel halves came apart. The rivets broke and so I had to zip tie the wheel together to walk it home. Glad I wasn't going down a hill when it happened. However, the bike shop guy was impressed at how well it rode too... before he broke it o_O

Isn't it typical how things like that happen when someone else is using your stuff :rolleyes:

Glen.

I actually fixed it today and rode back into town no problems. I used small machine screws (think that's what they are called:39:) and nuts through the holes where the rivets were. I only did it on the ones that broke and will most likely replace the others at some later date. It seems to be holding well so far.

The brake is only good enough to slow me down a bit. When I got to the bottom of the nearby hill, the brake was actually smoking :eek:

Glen.

Smokin brakes now that is hard core biking, lets see a pic Glen! Has anyone ever done
the shoe between the tyre and the back of the forks emergency braking method?

No I have not done that emergency braking method. And sorry, no pic of the smoking brake... perhaps next time if I decide to go down that hill and I am quick enough when I get to the bottom to get my phone out and get a pic before it stops smoking. Assuming it does it again of course. o_O

Glen

GLENDERSON: The Update Series

10/December/2018

Quite a bit has happened since my last post some four years ago.

Early in 2017, I had to move house and moved to a different town. With the rental property market bad I wasn’t sure if I’d have space for all my bikes and parts in whatever place I got, so I gave it all to fellow RRBer, @Endlesschain (Ryan).

The house I moved to is not far from his place and is indeed ok for bike building.:) I’ve done a couple since moving here...

Blackheart for Build Off #13

064_Finished.jpg

Silver Angel for Muscle Bike Build Off #07

87_Done.jpg

Recently, I was thinking about my old bikes and asked Ryan if I could buy back Glenderson and he said I could just have it back. :113:

Here’s how it looked when I gave it to Ryan…

001_Glenderson_2015.jpg

And here’s how it looked when I got it back…

002_Glenderson_2018.jpg

As you can see, Ryan swapped the tyres and used the toolbag on another bike, but other than that, it was just the same.

The band brake on the front was never very good and was even worse now, so off it came…

003_RemoveBandBrake.jpg

I had a Sturmey Archer rear drum hub so decided to fit that. Here’s the old hub…

004_RearWheel.jpg

Here’s the rear wheel removed…

005_RearWheel.jpg

Here’s the new hub fitted...

006_RearWheel.jpg

I didn’t have the right length spokes for a cross 3 pattern so had to go with cross 1. I’ll change that when suitable length spokes manifest themselves. :nod:

Took it for a ride and it still rides well and now stops better. Here's how it looks now...

007_WithNewHub.jpg

I’m going to update Glenderson as time goes on. I might add a disc brake on the front to make it stop even better. Also want to change the shift levers, widen the handlebar and change the brake lever.

That’s all for now.

Glen.

Edit: Here’s the future ‘to do’ list…
Disc brake on front
Twist grip shift levers
Widen handlebar
Change brake levers
Full fenders
Stand (it did have a stand but it was never very good)
Possibly modify the rear triangle to lower it a bit
Cut doors into the tank for storage
Put on a bigger headlight

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back