Mike Wolfe of American Pickers & FELT Bicycles create the "Red Wolfe" Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could really carry this over into a bunch of different products, not just bikes. Why does it cost $6.00 for a bag of chips at the store? Why does one place get $20 for a large pizza and another place charges only $5.99? Why would you buy a new Cadillac instead of a new Kia? It's the the beauty of a free economy. Make what people want and sell it for as much of a profit as the market will allow.

You have to break the process down to see the steps of profit along the way. The manufacturer in China is gonna charge Felt $100/bike to make them. Felt turns around and sells them to the dealers for $350-$500 each and then the dealer marks them up. Those are obviously not exact amounts, but it does show the profit chain. Then you have to throw in licensing, employees, insurance, taxes and all of the other overhead each company is responsible for and each step isn't making as much as it seems.

There's a good reason that Felt uses the same frame design on all of their cruisers....new designs are expensive. The fact that they are able to pull off these limited run theme bikes is pretty amazing in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I fully understand and agree with what your saying, thank the good lord I really don't care about these bikes. This is truely a bike that if someone would want, they could wait a year or two and find it for a 3rd to a 1/2 of what it's selling for now. Bet ya ten bucks it will show up on the "American Pickers" website listed as a "true collectable". Jokes on the public!!!

That kind of applies to just about everything from a retail perspective. Most things are going lose quite a bit of value in the first 2-3 years.

The thing is, everybody is making a big deal out of the price on this bike, but this is what most new Felt and Electra bikes sell for. This particular bike isn't more than any of the others they sell just because of the association with Mike Wolfe. Just visit a bike shop and you'll see that there isn't much available for adults under $300 anymore.

Now that being said, most of the folks on this site still wouldn't be interested because a high percentage are the DIY crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I wouldn't mind having a new Felt or Electra just to have at least one bike I can hop on and ride without having to mess with it all the time. If something breaks it's one bike I don't have to worry about having to get a sixty-year-old part for that's no longer made.

What I love about the older Felt cruisers is that I can buy one and do this (see photo)
IMG_5999.jpeg
but I don't think it would be as cool if I tried it with the "American Pickers" frame. So often, I've admired Felt when what made their bikes different was a definite theme. Think of the MP, the Hot Wheels bike, the sexy racy Deep Six. All of which seem to give me more that the "American Pickers" bike. This was once a run-of-the-mill "Little ........" It still is...kinda. I vote for the return of the Canvas Cruiser. All due respect to the archaeologist but I'd rather roll my own.

I have an older style felt and it is great to ride even with me being 6-3, but a lay back seat post helps a lot. I like the show, I think the both of them can be funny as heck, but I really like the places they go and the people they meet. It's just amazing the amount of stuff people collect. And, good for them! I have no idea what they did before, but if what they did was pick for a living, submitted some goofy video of them picking and got picked up for the show and now are somewhat stars, all the power to them I say.
I don't have any old bikes, well I have an old 50's amf kids bike that aint worth jack, but I doubt this show has anything to do with the value of bikes, okay maybe just a little. I think it's just the economy and tha fact that there are a lot of people now, especially in the bay area, that have a lot of dough. Heck, I bought a car back in 1992 for 6 grand, that car is now worth (in this economy, not 7 years ago) over 40k. The people that have money to spend, now have much more.

I have an older style felt and it is great to ride even with me being 6-3, but a lay back seat post helps a lot. I like the show, I think the both of them can be funny as heck, but I really like the places they go and the people they meet. It's just amazing the amount of stuff people collect. And, good for them! I have no idea what they did before, but if what they did was pick for a living, submitted some goofy video of them picking and got picked up for the show and now are somewhat stars, all the power to them I say.
I don't have any old bikes, well I have an old 50's amf kids bike that aint worth jack, but I doubt this show has anything to do with the value of bikes, okay maybe just a little. I think it's just the economy and tha fact that there are a lot of people now, especially in the bay area, that have a lot of dough. Heck, I bought a car back in 1992 for 6 grand, that car is now worth (in this economy, not 7 years ago) over 40k. The people that have money to spend, now have much more.
Mike has had multiple Bike Shops and has been into Real Estate and Rental Units. Frank used to install Fire and Break-In Alarm Systems. They have picked on the weekends on the side for ages.

I really like the show American Pickers. I like finding old bikes ect and make them usefull again. Most people just say throw it out and buy NEW in this day. As it was said here most people cannot restore a bike that is old and have to search for parts. It is even hard for us that have been repairing bike for ever.. The American pickers have made it alittle Kooler to collect old stuff and reuse it. As for the Red Wolf Bike. I liike most bikes of all types and ride most styles. I like the Red Wolf bike and Felt can sell it for what ever they can. This is a Limited bike and from a bike store so I think it is fair price. Will I buy one, NO I get my bikes from a Garage sale or less. One iten I do not like on the bike is the triple tree fork. Does not fit the image of the bike It needs the Abraham fork or ar least the Jerry Springer. Wheww, I think I need to go for a ride!!

Can't believe Mike put out a bike without a tank. I like the seat lol. It's all about cashing in now for the AP boys.

Can't believe Mike put out a bike without a tank. I like the seat lol. It's all about cashing in now for the AP boys.
He didn't put it out, Felt did. They're using his fame to market it. Mike doesn't care about Tanks that much, he cares about the Benjamins. Trust me, I've known him for 20 years.

What I love about the older Felt cruisers is that I can buy one and do this (see photo)View attachment 2153 but I don't think it would be as cool if I tried it with the "American Pickers" frame. So often, I've admired Felt when what made their bikes different was a definite theme. Think of the MP, the Hot Wheels bike, the sexy racy Deep Six. All of which seem to give me more that the "American Pickers" bike. This was once a run-of-the-mill "Little ........" It still is...kinda. I vote for the return of the Canvas Cruiser. All due respect to the archaeologist but I'd rather roll my own.
that thing is sweet!!!! is that a 24 or 20 incher? those wheels skyways?
i love it and my wife loves the colr she made sure i put that in lol

that thing is sweet!!!! is that a 24 or 20 incher? those wheels skyways?
i love it and my wife loves the colr she made sure i put that in lol

Thanks to both you and your wife. The color is called "illusion purple." The rims are 24" Skyways with 24x3" tires. The tires will have raised white letters that say "LITTLE ......." in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He didn't put it out, Felt did. They're using his fame to market it. Mike doesn't care about Tanks that much, he cares about the Benjamins. Trust me, I've known him for 20 years.

He must have signed off on it, since they are using his name and business name. I'd also be willing to wager he gets a cut of each sale also. I think everyone should go into a felt dealer and offer half or less of what it sells for.:rofl:
As for the bike, typical Felt design. I do agree about the T.T. fork though. Poor choice for a "nostalgic" bike.

ya it's not me, I don't like the fork but the body looks nice, but 750 bucks :eek:

I like the show, the bike, and I like the guys. $750 is steep on price so I'd never buy one unless it was discounted on CL, but Felt's are AWESOME bikes! I like my rats and vintage metal, but my El Guapo is the best riding bike I have. Nothing ever breaks on it either so I can go on longer rides. :grin: To me, Felt is like the Bentley of the modern day bike world.

Latest posts

Back