We want the Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this will be my third build off, hopefully the first that I finish.
This will be made out of parts that I have gathered over the last couple of years, sharp eyed people will notice parts that I bought from the forum! Most of the parts were bought with the idea of making a bomber/klunk of the classic style, only it never gelled.

Well the cheap fork and the chainring weren't straight, and the chain I was going to use was no good, so I tried some other parts.

The seatpost is an aluminum rod and the seat from Nashbar. New chainring, wheels and classic fork made me a roller! Only this fork is tweaked as well!
Old and new together

Well I was walking past a dumpster and a poor bike was calling me to save it!
Well some of it's parts at any rate...

Hmmm.....

A new fork from Bicycledesigner.com and we have disc brakes on the front of the bike!

Also some motorcross bars and a Nitto bmx stem from my stash...

Due to a lack of ability, I dropped the idea for disc brakes on both ends and laced a matching rim with a coaster brake, and changed up the crankset to a bmx 3 piece one.

Yeah!! I like this. Way to save a bike! GTB peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive comments, I have been gathering parts for a long time and the build off is just the thing to spur me into action.
Well before the paint is dry enough, I put the headset and wheels on to make the bike easier to store until the next time I can work on it.

and another slightly better shot,

Finally someone brave enough to use bed liner! There has been some talk of trying this in the past but most people shied away from it for fear of being too heavy. Just for future reference, have you noticed any real weight gain to your frame?

Finally someone brave enough to use bed liner! There has been some talk of trying this in the past but most people shied away from it for fear of being too heavy. Just for future reference, have you noticed any real weight gain to your frame?
While it might be too heavy for a racing bike, on a heavy steel cruiser frame with a heavy steel fork and heavy steel cranks, and let's not forget the 200 lb rider, I don't think it amounts to much.
On the plus side, it is tough, and the wrinkle finish hides a multitude of sins...

A lot to love on this build....

I "discovered" those 1" threaded disc forks on bicycledesigner.com just the other week.... I have different methods, but I was wondering what the general quality of those forks is like? I know a lot of ppl who have been looking for forks like that....

Also gotta say I love the stem/bars on this bike.

But mostly, I can't wait to see how that bedliner holds up, long-term. Can you take some close-up shots of the finish on the frame??

Keep up the good work

Awesome Klunker !
I'm really diggin the Bedliner treatment. Makes the bike look bulletproof :thumbsup:

I think you should go with the original tires you had on there before...those were period correct. ;)

Hope it's the smooth stuff. The liner on dad's truck in like 80 grit... I'd hate to rub my knees up against it.

Latest posts

Back