DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you again guys.
As jasper87 suggested, the hub needed to be narrower. So I cut the center section out just at the point where the radius met the straight part of the center tube. After I put it back together, it makes one continuous radius in between the spoke flanges and is near imperceptible. The axle was sectioned by the same amount and tiged back together.To hold the hub together, I tapped one side of the spoke holes to accept a 440 machine screw and bolted the two halves together.

Here's the result...
NarrowHub_zpsf15999ff.jpg

So friggin cool:D I never would have thought of bolting it back together like that:thumbsup: Now how about some tube sleeving for the threads between the flanges? :grin: Cant wait to see what your "something else planed for later" is!

So friggin cool:D I never would have thought of bolting it back together like that:thumbsup: Now how about some tube sleeving for the threads between the flanges? :grin: Cant wait to see what your "something else planed for later" is!
I don't like to give other people advice and anything they are building but you're right, some sleeves over those screws would look great. :113:

I don't like to give other people advice and anything they are building but you're right, some sleeves over those screws would look great. :113:
As you wish!
I dropped by the auto parts store after work and bought a piece of rubber vacuum tube for a quarter! As soon as I got home I cut it into short pieces and put'm in place.

I love the way it looks!:)

I also quickly cut out a mounting bracket for the left side, but the shape is not right yet. I'll have to remove the kick stand and play with it some more.
100_7010_zpse9942521.jpg

Here's the latest progress picture with the idler sprocket and the Brooks bolted on.
100_7014_zps63df8c91.jpg

I really liked junknutz1975's 'reminder' picture of his 1945 Elgin gender bender, so I thought I'd post one too!:D

656-1388528399-00b4e470547627971549ac7ac797914f.jpg

Looks awesome! The vacuum hose is perfect, and that brooks looks delicious:grin: is it a B17? And because im slightly ocd about angles, when you make the new Dana bracket maybe consider lining it all up to the chain stay and seat tube? Sorry, that's the last bit of "advice" from me:oops: I havnt been able to work much on my bike for the last week so I've been trolling the Bonine builds :grin:

Take a Walk on the Wild Side . . .
Idler is looking awesome!

Luke.
The entire bike is awesome!
I'm late to the party so just getting to check out some of the builds. Phenomenal...
EPIC Transformation !!! and you not even finished with , i am amazed ... keep it up:rockout:
Thanks for all of the props!
Thankfully I'm not to worried about winning first place!
Cool gender addition!
Awesome mechanisms!
Righteous stance!
Ok I'll stop campaigning for you.....
With all of this years great builds, I'll take all of the campaigning that I can get!:D THANKS!
Looks awesome! The vacuum hose is perfect, and that brooks looks delicious:grin: is it a B17? And because im slightly ocd about angles, when you make the new Dana bracket maybe consider lining it all up to the chain stay and seat tube? Sorry, that's the last bit of "advice" from me:oops: I havnt been able to work much on my bike for the last week so I've been trolling the Bonine builds :grin:

I'm open to any and all advice!
Your spot on with the latest observation on the angles. What you pointed out is exactly what I had intended!!! I obviously missed it with the mock up piece but have already been reshaping it on the computer to get the correct angles. However, I won't be able to finalize it until I get my rear wheel together. If you've noticed, I keep swapping back and forth between either the wheel with the correct hub or the wheel with the tire because the tire won't fit until I lace another rim on the Bendix. So until then, there's still some uncertainty about the wheel and chain placement. I'm going to have to address that soon now because i'ts starting to hold up things like the idler, the drop outs and the traction bar mounts.

And yes, that's an old B17 saddle!:)

Love the idler and the whole build!!
One safety concern though. Every time I see those drop extensions I just wonder if there is enough meat on the last 2-3 inches on them. I know Wildcat had an issue with his dropout extensions. Hard to tell from pics. I imagine you have already tested them though. You're getting real close to having a rider!!!! :113:

This is one sweet bike!! I look forward everyday to seeing what new idea you've come up with.
Thanks! I've still got more idea's than I'll probably have time to get to before August. I learned last year that it will go by faster than you think!
What about a combined bracket that both holds the kickstand in place and the chain tensioner?
I like that idea. But, I'm not planning on having a kick stand once I get it standing on it's own.
Love the idler and the whole build!!
One safety concern though. Every time I see those drop extensions I just wonder if there is enough meat on the last 2-3 inches on them. I know Wildcat had an issue with his dropout extensions. Hard to tell from pics. I imagine you have already tested them though. You're getting real close to having a rider!!!! :113:
Thanks B.
The drop outs are actually made out of a composite material that's easy to cut just for trial fitting, so I'm not close to a rider yet. :( However, I have been thinking of a way to strengthen them when I finally cut them out of steel.

As always, thanks for the input!!!

Wishful thinking on my part about it being a rider soon. This build is chock full of cool features.

Great idea on using the composite material to test out your ideas first. I got some spare superstrut you can borrow.
:)

Latest posts

Back