"BLACKJACK" MiniVelo FatBike BUILD. (New owner, new progress soon!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's your forks looking today Luke ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Made some good progress today, not as much as I hoped but well on track.

Started by cutting the donor headtube from the old frame and cleaning it up so I could get an accurate stack height, then on to drilling out the pilot hole on the top crown and inserting a crushtube made from old an old BMX handlebar crossbrace, here it is ready for welding on the backside before being cut to length and welded on the front:

14393875821_4e3a7dd32c_z.jpg

Cut and welded on the front:

14417385933_e9f98fb929_z.jpg

Insert the 10mm (3/8") hexhead bolt through to weld the nut to the stem piece plate:

14395855262_a41db77d2e_z.jpg

Welded the plate to the stem piece and then tacked the stem piece to the stem with it set at the right height, there will be some room for adjustment as the crush tube is slightly bigger than it needs to be, but I still wanted it pretty close, after that I disassembled it all, finished the welding, did some clean up and reassembled to double check:

14374097396_6e1cea9b5c_z.jpg

14210601288_01b718afb6_z.jpg

I am not sure how I will end up attaching the handlebars to it yet, I have a few different ideas, just need to decide which is best. This is one idea I actually made for another build by splitting a BMX clamp section, they could be welded to some nice risers:

14210593538_553cc0e4ae_z.jpg

14210591458_15b0bd5665_z.jpg

Then I flipped over my workboard, it was still on the side with the Joker build drawn on it, and started drawing up a 75mm x 75mm (3" x 3") grid, the sketches and drawings I have are 1:7.5 ratio so I can easy grid up the drawings to suit with a 10mm x 10mm grid. (3/8" x 3/8") That will make it easy to transfer the drawings to the build board and I can start on the frame.

Going to have to wait for my axles to get here to finish the forks.

Luke.

Got the final version of the BikeCad done and copied to paper and then gridded up, should be an easy job to copy it onto the board tomorrow and start building the frame...

14210949590_3ca458e5d3_z.jpg

Luke.

No huge progress today, but progress all the same...

Bike drawn out on build board, I modified the bike just slightly as I was going to adjust the lines to suit the fork better:

14403785225_7c86a7a8df_z.jpg

14423946843_c7b8942a0b_z.jpg

Here is a comparison with the Joker build, the Joker is very compact and upright, whereas this one is spread out and has downhill geometry with the laid back angles:

14403783435_e1e90556f5_z.jpg

Also, the axles arrived today, very happy, means I can finally get the final details planned out!

14217155668_3f26eca09b_z.jpg

Luke.

Very busy weekend this weekend, so there will not be any progress to show, I have however ordered the shifter for the bike, I really don't like grip shifts, but love the rapidfire push up-push down twin trigger ratchet style, specially the ones that allow multiple shifts up or down in one go, with that in mind I ordered this Sunrace rapid fire 7 speed:

14390289546_602316baa6.jpg

I have used the Shimano one before but could not find one, never used the Sunrace one before, but hopefully it will be similar...

Luke.

Looking good Luke
Can't wait to see both the bike you got on the go ;)
Do you do all your bike frames on bikecad ?
I had a look today and it looks hard to use but cool as

Looking good Luke
Can't wait to see both the bike you got on the go ;)
Do you do all your bike frames on bikecad ?
I had a look today and it looks hard to use but cool as

This is actually the first bike I have used BikeCad for, normally I use Paint.Net or just windows paint, sometimes only a sketch on paper...

Luke.

This is actually the first bike I have used BikeCad for, normally I use Paint.Net or just windows paint, sometimes only a sketch on paper...

Luke.
Oh it looks really good have you got the pro one ?
The things that can be done are so cool.
I like the way that you have done it on the wood the same way as it was on bike cad

Oh it looks really good have you got the pro one ?
The things that can be done are so cool.
I like the way that you have done it on the wood the same way as it was on bike cad

No, I just use the basic free one, one thing I have found it works better and quicker on Internet Explorer than Chrome which is what I use normally...

I like the Paint.Net method to, because I can get my wife to take a photo of me sitting on a chair with the wheels and handlebars and then I can just join the dots with the frame and know it will fit me perfectly, with BikeCad, I am relying on it's recommendations which do seem pretty good, but I won't know for sure till it is built...

Luke.

No, I just use the basic free one, one thing I have found it works better and quicker on Internet Explorer than Chrome which is what I use normally...

I like the Paint.Net method to, because I can get my wife to take a photo of me sitting on a chair with the wheels and handlebars and then I can just join the dots with the frame and know it will fit me perfectly, with BikeCad, I am relying on it's recommendations which do seem pretty good, but I won't know for sure till it is built...

Luke.
Oh yeah I didn't think of that with paint net so you can get a pic of how you wanted sit on the bike and build a frame to that

I don't think these things out I just start cutting and then redo everything we it goes wrong lol

Narrowed Austin "K" series truck cab with the front end off a Series 2A LandRover sitting in front of it. Got rid of the Landy, still have the Truck cab, but the HotRod rules in Australia have gotten too hard, so that project got scrapped, I may make a pedal car or 1/2 scale RatRod out of it yet...

Luke.

Narrowed Austin "K" series truck cab with the front end off a Series 2A LandRover sitting in front of it. Got rid of the Landy, still have the Truck cab, but the HotRod rules in Australia have gotten too hard, so that project got scrapped, I may make a pedal car or 1/2 scale RatRod out of it yet...

Luke.
Wow I would love to have that cab
I've been looking all over the place for one
There about £1500 for one over in England
My life long dream is to have a chop top rat rod pick up
If I don't have one by the time I'm 30 I'm going get one shipped over lol

Sorry for the lack of progress on this build, busy weekend and still recovering... Hopefully tomorrow I can get some frame work done!

I dropped off the Joker build to the powdercoaters today, while I was there I picked up some colour chips for ideas on this build:

14462853953_274814b552_z.jpg

14439330851_cc2841ee3f_z.jpg

From left to right: Coral Black Gloss, Night Sky Satin, Night Sky Matt and Texture Black.

Love the texture black, looks amazing and is a really tough look, would be an issue for stickers to stick too, I may have come up with a way around that, will have to see how I go when I get there!

Luke.

Been really cold here, windy and raining, on top of that my health is off a fair bit at the moment, but I am trying to keep this build moving as best I can...

Today was spent trying to figure how I will attach the freewheel to the wheel hub:

14448631882_e9fccbb515_z.jpg

14448631012_a685375511_z.jpg

Pretty sure I have figured a way to do it simply and reliably.

The other thing I am working on is seeing if I want to replace the thick and heavy brake discs with a pair of 203mm Barradine MTB discs I have, it will take some work to make them fit though, but it may end up easier than making spacer plates to widen the brake callipers to suit the thick discs??? Certainly looks better and more purpose specific...

14263373390_0de4389418_z.jpg

Luke.

Been really cold here, windy and raining, on top of that my health is off a fair bit at the moment, but I am trying to keep this build moving as best I can...

Today was spent trying to figure how I will attach the freewheel to the wheel hub:

14448631882_e9fccbb515_z.jpg

14448631012_a685375511_z.jpg

Pretty sure I have figured a way to do it simply and reliably.

The other thing I am working on is seeing if I want to replace the thick and heavy brake discs with a pair of 203mm Barradine MTB discs I have, it will take some work to make them fit though, but it may end up easier than making spacer plates to widen the brake callipers to suit the thick discs??? Certainly looks better and more purpose specific...

14263373390_0de4389418_z.jpg

Luke.
I say go with the mountain bike discs as they will be easier to get replacement parts if you need them. Those are going to be some heave wheels though... :eek: :D

Latest posts

Back