(WBO2015) 1910 INDIAN Board Track - COMPLETED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always cool to see your updates on this build Funk! Awesome to watch a true artist at work!

Luke.
I'm always looking for updates here, more than any other in the build-off!

With all the rain we had on Saturday,my yard is flooded again.So slushing around and trying to work on the bike.Decide to have a half day and go down to the local for a few beers n grub.
But this is what I have done last 2 days.
The leather for the grips.Like those brook grips,except costs way less.
DSCN3960.JPG
DSCN3961.JPG
Finished the shifter,welded in the side.Don't ask me how I did it.I had only big rods left and not many.
DSCN3969.JPG
The glass knob can be changed out for the blue,will decide at the end what suits.
DSCN3968.JPG
DSCN3965.JPG
Welded on the tabs.
DSCN3971.JPG
And welded on the plate near the tank
DSCN3970.JPG
The only thing left to weld onto the frame is the chain tensioner. But I will do that down the road a bit.
For now I will start to clean,sand and prime the frame.
Also I cut part of the Indian dropouts off,the lower feathers,I felt it was to much with the stand.
Fixed the rear fender mount and I have decide to make new front fender braces.On closer inspection the ones I have are not original.They are solid and old,but I feel they will rattle and swing the fender,as they are just bolted on,and the holes in the fender are becoming larger.

Attachments

• DSCN3967.JPG
    DSCN3967.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 221
I like how you're smoothing out the welds with the epoxy.
I like the way it fills,much better than car filler.
Sometimes my welding is great other times:confused:
Also I like to give the joins the look that they have been brazed.I hate sharp edges etc.

What a beautiful day it is today(was suppose to be overcast and rain?).No wind and the sun is out.So today the red parts will be sprayed.
I have already primed the bike yesterday,have patches to sand and prime still,but will have the color on by the end of the day.
This is what I did yesterday.
The fake engine plates need the bolt look,and I was considering dome nuts.
Then I remembered I had 3 buckets of these.
DSCN3972.JPG
These came off old doors from China,I think from the city Xian.Could be from the Qing Dynasty or Ming Dynasty.1368 or maybe even earlier,but I doubt it.Will get a photo of the doors in original style.
DSCN3973.JPG
Thought they would look cool,so I welded a few on.
DSCN3976.JPG
I found this a few days ago,and also purchased a longer one.This will be the outer housing for the clutch cables etc.It's a mini plumbing snake.
DSCN3975.JPG
Painted the engine,also the rear sprocket to look old and used.Might need more color.
DSCN3978.JPG
Next thing was to make the front fender braces.I used a inox pipe,and split it in half.
DSCN3984.JPG
DSCN3985.JPG
The front of the fender was cracked and in bad shape,so I wanted to reshape the nose.
DSCN3980.JPG
A few rivets and a lot of filler.
DSCN3986.JPG
So today will sand,paint and prime.It doesnt have to be perfect,as the rest of the fender and frame are with marks etc,from years of use,and I want to keep it that way.

Great progress here! You're getting into some of the really fun stuff now. The rusty engine plate tacks are perfect and also very appropriate considering that the engine itself is Chinese!:21:

BTW, drop that plumbing snake in vinegar overnight and it will remove the zinc plating leaving it instantly aged.

Thanx for the tip RM.
So yesterday was painting day.
Primer
DSCN3988.JPG
DSCN3992.JPG
The red.
Has the original red + primer red + the new red mix + carmine red + black for the aged look.Now for the matt varnish.
DSCN3998.JPG

Im also super keep on the plumbing snake idea, wonder if you could coat the inside surface with....? Anything? , but the real question at hand is,

How does one come by 3 buckets of chinese door hardware, older than this country itself?

Well Funkme, I was able to peel my eyes off the Indian for a sec, and i had failed to notice the odd foliage in the background. Greece I see. Populated since the begining of time. The year 13XX undoubtedly has less impact on you than those of us who's country is still in the insolent tween years!

Yay global community!

Well Funkme, I was able to peel my eyes off the Indian for a sec, and i had failed to notice the odd foliage in the background. Greece I see. Populated since the begining of time. The year 13XX undoubtedly has less impact on you than those of us who's country is still in the insolent tween years!

Yay global community!
I have more buckets to collect,I think all together it's 5 buckets.
These came off a set of massive doors imported here for one of the wealthy villa owners.They restored a villa,before the doors arrived.So the doors had to be cut down to fit,and redesigned.These soaks are what is left over.Many different styles and sizes.They say from the XIAN Dynasty,but that would date them before the Acropolis.I don't see how doors would survive,with war n weather.I believe they are from the capital city of Xian,one of the oldest cities,the beginning of The Silk Road and where the army of clay soldiers stand.They are either monastery doors or garden/gate doors to a noble from that time.I will post pics of the doors before and after.I guess I should sell some of them.

Well the hard part is over,the painting is done.Now it's time to sit back & chillax.
Oh wait!!! I need to put it all together.
The last 2 days have been perfect for spraying.I am happy with the results and color.
DSCN4008.JPG
The side plates with the pin striping before aging.
DSCN4010.JPG
After
DSCN4014.JPG
DSCN4016.JPG
So now its just mounting it all together and adding the lil things.
I still have to make a seat post,stem , handlebars ,and light bracket..
I will decide how to mount the chain guide.I want to weld it on.Or make one that is more secured.

The ageing has come out really good! Nice work!

Luke.
Thanx Luke.
I was worried about the red,not having the right color,but it doesn't matter when you are aging the patina.Now I know why I never finished this bike years ago...
I didn't like it,as it was.I an glad that I put it aside and entered it in this build-off.
I knew what I wanted,but was feeling at odd ends on how to go about it.,until The Renaissance Man posted up the design.
Sometimes you just need to see it,on paper,to get past the blockage.So a huge thanx to RM and also to yourself,as you said to move the rear drops back.

You're welcome for the design idea, I'm glad that it worked out. This just keeps getting better, the paint looks great!

I'm going to go ahead and predict that the Indian from Greece will be this years WBO winner. :113:

You're welcome for the design idea, I'm glad that it worked out. This just keeps getting better, the paint looks great!

I'm going to go ahead and predict that the Indian from Greece will be this years WBO winner. :113:
Don't go jumping the starting gate...
A lot of great bikes being built.:)
I thought that I had a good chance in last summers build-off.But then you just blasted right past me.:crazy2:
I didn't even notice how good your bike was.Either you kept it well hidden until the end,or I must have missed the build.
That's what I love about these build-offs,you just never know,until the end.
I always love seeing the before and after pics.

The Indian from Greece with Chinese Xing rivets...

Luke.
The Indian from Greece with Chinese Xing rivets,from a French frame,built by a Italian/Australian.:grin:
Multi culti

I need the paint to cure.So I am trying not to touch the bike for a few days.I think I need to bring it inside as the workshop leaks,and because of all the rain the floor is wet from the land behind.
I did mount the side plates,rear fender and rear light.
The light is a old french one.
DSCN4022.JPG
Will blend the rivets in,just tapped them with the red paint.
DSCN4017.JPG
I don't like the rivets.Originally I had them welded on,but with the vibration from the bike,I know they would come free and rattle.Maybe I putty the hole.:39:

Latest posts

Back