8-Ply

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The proportions of this one are dead on right! I totally get the cool rake verses comfortability issue but don't think you've sacrificed cool at all. The angle of the forks gives it the right proportions in my opinion, it looks downright mean!

I've had an idea for some cool bars that I wanted to do for a while. I have two of these very art-deco stems from a couple of 1930s exercise bikes.
IMG_3280_zpsgdmphjvq.jpg

I want to use them on the triple trees like clip-on bars. I'll extend them a bit to put on some grips.
IMG_3289_zpsmbvlqdde.jpg

I picked up this seat and bars at a motorcycle swap meet, and I love this seat, so I swapped it out and will use this.
IMG_3285_zpsafr2sdye.jpg

I welded it to the frame using a hinge, so that it comes up similar to how it often does on motorcycles. I then welded on the bottom of a set of kids BMX bars for the seat to rest on.
IMG_3290_zpsbloujexf.jpg

IMG_3291_zpsuoub7g24.jpg

And here's how it sits:
IMG_3287_zpsgbgwj14i.jpg

Very nice! I love the lines of this bike

WOW! Stepped away for a bit and come back and see this!!
Already so many cool details and the flow of this build is perfect!

The jackshaft offset was 3". I had these two freewheels that I bought as a pair for $5, but I've never been able to use them, because it turned out that they were an odd smaller size. Tacked them together, and realized that I put one on backward.

Tacked them together AGAIN.
IMG_3292_zpsyqsnkatl.jpg

IMG_3294_zpspegzacag.jpg

I then welded on the modified rear of a kid's 12" bike.
IMG_3297_zpsxjl2qcsu.jpg

IMG_3295_zpsze0m7cqh.jpg

IMG_3296_zpscq0q7ht5.jpg

And it's a rider!
IMG_3298_zpsuvkfrszi.jpg

Last edited:
This is definitely one of THE builds to follow.
Those bars, those tubes, that tire, those lines.
I especially like the way the second tubes curve in then back out.

sweet! how does it ride?

It pedals easier than I thought it would, but to be honest, I'm too bent over. I know everyone loves the bars, but I may experiment with other bar options. I'd like it to be more comfortable than it is.

Latest posts

Back