BOTEN!! Yeah, yeah, yeah... Space Pumpkin!! Let's go Space Pumpkin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging that reflector inverted on the street sweeper fender, it looks like a car bumper. Also glad you went black on the tank instead of orange, don't get me wrong, orange is a great color, but it's easy to go overboard with it, ya know?
Anyway, build on brother, it looks great so far.
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digging that reflector inverted on the street sweeper fender, it looks like a car bumper. Also glad you went black on the tank instead of orange, don't get me wrong, orange is a great color, but it's easy to go overboard with it, ya know?
Anyway, build on brother, it looks great so far.
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Dr.T, I was quickly realizing that I could get to much orange on this build!! I still think it has enough orange to be a pumpkin though..... space pumpkin! Has a nice ring.............................

282010_302a_625x1000.jpg
:D

Last edited:
Dang, I am soooo far behind where I should be on this build already!! NOW, I'm thinking maybe the black on this bike really should be Deep Purple!! Decisions, decisions.........

Maybe my pinstripe guy can tie in some purple when he works his magic! Yea! I'm back on track.

Last edited:
The new name is killer and the bike is looking great. I really like the upside down reflector.

Well, to say that I have had paint problems would be like saying that Jonah had a nice quiet 3 day vacation at an under-sea resort!!! I decided to use some "fusion" on the fiberglass tank, I thought it's kind of plastic and I won't need to use any primer. I just filled any pin holes and imperfections, sanded smooth and then started painting with the fusion paint. The paint stayed gummy, not just for a couple of days.......For a couple of WEEKS!! I don't know for sure what the problem was, maybe a combination of heat, humidity, and the fiberglass and fusion paint not playing well together. Finally, I was ready to paint the orange belly area on the tank, I was sure that the orange was compatible with the black fusion (I had used them together on the fork already with no problems. Guess what? PROBLEMS, the solvents in the orange paint caused the black to lift and wrinkle underneath........... again, the paint was too gummy to do anything with for another week. I know that you normally don't want to mix enamels and lacquer paint, but spray paint doesn't specify on the can most of the time. Now I have sanded the tank back down to gelcoat and I have 3 coats of primer sealer on it. Hopefully, I can get it finished in the next 2 or 3 days and post some pictures. I have thought about pulling the plug on this build a couple of times already, but I really want to finish this one on time. I may not get to include all of the features on this bike that I had planned. But, at least it is moving forward again!

Man, I hate to hear that. I did a quick google search on "fusion" paint and it seems you're not alone with drying issues. Apparently "fusion" is designed for very specific applications. I hope you can get back on track now that you've got that stuff off.

Man, I hate to hear that. I did a quick google search on "fusion" paint and it seems you're not alone with drying issues. Apparently "fusion" is designed for very specific applications. I hope you can get back on track now that you've got that stuff off.

Thanks buddy! I think the tank is back on track (wish that I would have google searched before I used it) all of the delays are going to limit what I can do on a custom shifter, sprung sissy bar and nanner seat, oh well..... one day at a time!

O.K., I am throwing in the towel. My son wants to get the old rat rod truck back on the road this summer. So, I am sitting the build off bike aside for some good old hot rod shop time with my son. I will finish it in the fall, no regrets! There are so many COOL bikes in this build off, my hat is off to all!!!

Thanks for following,
Big Ape,
Ted

Hey Carl, I would just as soon not show how sad she looks right now, so I'll post a picture of it in it's glory days.
Hooligan_s_Pick_001.JPG

We did get the rearend reassembled with some new 3.73 gears and a gov-lock differential last night. So, now it is sitting back on the tires again....at least on the rear!

Hate to see you out, but that truck trumps any bike!!!

Nice. I get to remodel houses with my oldest boy. It's good when ya finish and look at it and think... WE did that.

Carl.

I think he has talked me into building a bicycle trailer to haul around behind this lil' truck too......

Was loving the bike, but kids come first. This was one of my favorite builds but it can be my favorite later too!

Latest posts

Back