Olds Cool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That'll light up the neighborhood! The tires look great on there, but it looks like the front axle isn't all the way in the slot.

That'll light up the neighborhood! The tires look great on there, but it looks like the front axle isn't all the way in the slot.

You are correct. I have to open up the slots a little to fit the axle. That was just a mock up to see how it was gonna look. Good eye! o_O

Seiss lights I got a few years ago. I started working on them then, but they've been storage for the past three years.
Lightkit1-vi.jpg

I had started cleaning one and found out they're brass:
Seisslightcleaning-vi.jpg

Harbor Freight LED spot/work lights:
SeissLEDlightconversion001-vi.jpg

Disassembled and removed the outer flange seen here:
SeissLEDlightconversion005-vi.jpg

Fit right in!
SeissLEDlightconversion007-vi.jpg

Each light will have a mini toggle switch mounted in the existing hole where the original wire came out. Battery will be mounted inside each light housing for power.

That LED set fit perfectly!

Seiss lights I got a few years ago. I started working on them then, but they've been storage for the past three years.
Lightkit1-vi.jpg

I had started cleaning one and found out they're brass:
Seisslightcleaning-vi.jpg

Harbor Freight LED spot/work lights:
SeissLEDlightconversion001-vi.jpg

Disassembled and removed the outer flange seen here:
SeissLEDlightconversion005-vi.jpg

Fit right in!
SeissLEDlightconversion007-vi.jpg

Each light will have a mini toggle switch mounted in the existing hole where the original wire came out. Battery will be mounted inside each light housing for power.
I like the way you think when it comes to old headlight mods, Chips!

I like the way you think when it comes to old headlight mods, Chips!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of LED lighting. It's getting cheaper and better over time. A nice thing about lights like these is they can run off a watch or 9volt battery that can be hidden inside each light housing. Sure....that means I'll have to turn on/off 4 lights individually, but theres no wires running anywhere and they're brighter.

A little taillight work today!

The bulb socket plugs came in. They're a little smaller than I thought but they'll still work.

Disassembled the lights. Cleaned the red lense and the inside of the housing so the light will reflect as bright as possible. Also drilled holes in the housings for the mini toggle switches and for the wires from the bulb plug to go inside for connections.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Haven't had any time this past week to work on "Olds Cool". Was hoping to take it, in incomplete form, to the show & swap yesterday, but that didn't work out. Going to try again for this weekend in Monticello with onewheelsqueal and his mini squeal.

So I'm trying to scrub the rust and grime off the frame to reveal as much of the original paint as possible. I'm going through SOS pads like crazy and it's not coming off all that easily. I pre-soaked the frame in PB for about 2 weeks before starting this. Is there a better way to scrub off the junk or do I just need to keep going?

So I'm trying to scrub the rust and grime off the frame to reveal as much of the original paint as possible. I'm going through SOS pads like crazy and it's not coming off all that easily. I pre-soaked the frame in PB for about 2 weeks before starting this. Is there a better way to scrub off the junk or do I just need to keep going?
Have you ever tried electrolysis rust removal?
Just need some water,a battery charger,rebar,copper wire,arm&hammer washing soda,and a tank to hold the frame.
I use one of those plastic kiddie pools,you might Google electrolysis rust removal. Just make sure if you use this method that you get washing soda,NOT baking soda.

I've used this method to remove rust a few times and never damaged paint or chrome.

Don't have to be a Bill Nye,or even a Mr. Wizard for that matter. Its actually really simple, and one everything is together its hands free.

You might want to try easy off oven cleaner it has worked good for me to lift old repaints and get down to the remaining OG paint.

Latest posts

Back