Olds Cool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have to be a Bill Nye,or even a Mr. Wizard for that matter. Its actually really simple, and one everything is together its hands free.
image.jpg

Have you tried and oxalic acid bath? It works great look it up on YouTube there's a bunch of videos. It removes the rust and will leave the paint. You can pick it up at a paint store like Sherwin Williams, it's also called wood bleach.

Have you tried and oxalic acid bath? It works great look it up on YouTube there's a bunch of videos. It removes the rust and will leave the paint. You can pick it up at a paint store like Sherwin Williams, it's also called wood bleach.

Is this what you're referring to?
Wood Bleach.JPG

I bought 10 pounds of dried oxalic acid powder cheap on the net, shipping is cheap to because it's dry. I also got 5 pounds of dried phosphoric acid on the net for cheap. I am unimpressed with both. They both leave a dull residue that I can't get all the way off. I have used molasses for the phosphoric acid in it and had no problem. Then oxalic acid took off the chrome and left the copper plating in about a day and there was still rust on the stem. Vinegar works much better than either of these products. I have tried these acids diluted and stronger and either way they leave a dull grey (phosphoric acid) or bright yellow (oxalic acid) residue that is hard to get off. Both have left the paint in place. I wonder if buying them dry and then adding water modifies it so you get these terrible results. I am not going to use either one again.

So a vinegar bath should be tried?

I bought 10 pounds of dried oxalic acid powder cheap on the net, shipping is cheap to because it's dry. I also got 5 pounds of dried phosphoric acid on the net for cheap. I am unimpressed with both. They both leave a dull residue that I can't get all the way off. I have used molasses for the phosphoric acid in it and had no problem. Then oxalic acid took off the chrome and left the copper plating in about a day and there was still rust on the stem. Vinegar works much better than either of these products. I have tried these acids diluted and stronger and either way they leave a dull grey (phosphoric acid) or bright yellow (oxalic acid) residue that is hard to get off. Both have left the paint in place. I wonder if buying them dry and then adding water modifies it so you get these terrible results. I am not going to use either one again.

I used vinegar on a goosneck trailer hitch ball that was really crusty with rust (unplated) took about a week but came out like sandblasted.:grin:

Chips, if you get a chance Google or you tube the electrolysis rust removal method. It's really not a sciencey as it sounds.

I don't know what you're hoping for on the metal,but this method removes the rust and leaves a black film on bare metal that is rust resistant yet cleans away easily with scotch brite.

I use the oxalic acid,but then I just wash with soapy water or the pressure washer afterwards.

Nothing to report for the past week or so. Been busy with the house. Air Conditioning doesn't work, water heater quit heating, and all the rain we've been getting flooded my basement. Not to mention the friggin' ants everywhere since they got flooded out of the ground! I'll get back at it this week and will post some updates as they come.

Nothing to report for the past week or so. Been busy with the house. Air Conditioning doesn't work, water heater quit heating, and all the rain we've been getting flooded my basement. Not to mention the friggin' ants everywhere since they got flooded out of the ground! I'll get back at it this week and will post some updates as they come.

WOW, sounds like a disaster of Biblical proportions.
Hope everything straightens up for you.

Latest posts

Back