OP ROLLER....it's Rollin'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this one up, oh I don't know, maybe a week and a half ago....Just started working on it today.
Never really heard of this bike, Ocean Pacific sold at box stores a while back.
Aluminum frame is nice and straight, huge tires are like brand new
Eh....for $12.00 at Thrift...I threw it on the car and brought it home

OP_Roller.png

It didn't come without any problems.
Major wobble in the BB. When I took it apart, out popped all of the bearings and two rusty crusty things that I think were the cages.
:13:
OP_Bearings.png

think I might need some new bearings.
OP_BB1.png

OH, and if you ever can find that Astro Shield Glaze, that stuff is the bomb. I rarely clear coat, just rub on a couple of coats of that polish, and man, you can comb your hair in the reflection.
I don't know if it's made anymore, got it at the paint recycling center at our local landfill here.

The rear hub was shaky. Had to take that apart and rebuild it...
one of the brake 'shoes' had wedged in the wrong position,
On the wheel, two spokes were missing, the rest of them were limp...so I trued it up best as I could. I'm not the best truer upper

OP_RearWheel2.png

At least the wheel cleaned up nice, It was rusty, but it hadn't gone thru the chrome yet.
Axle is in the bag.
The crank arms are very heavy and rugged

Not sure what to do with it yet...probably just get it rolling, and flip it...Beach cruisers sell real fast here in Florida...mountain bikes...not so much!

It didn't come without any problems.
Major wobble in the BB. When I took it apart, out popped all of the bearings and two rusty crusty things that I think were the cages.
:13:
View attachment 29793

think I might need some new bearings.
View attachment 29794

OH, and if you ever can find that Astro Shield Glaze, that stuff is the bomb. I rarely clear coat, just rub on a couple of coats of that polish, and man, you can comb your hair in the reflection.
I don't know if it's made anymore, got it at the paint recycling center at our local landfill here.
Astro shield was the best! My dad used to use it on his truck.... Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they stopped making it a while ago... Wizards shine master is the closest I've found to a replacement...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I bought a few cheapo big box bikes at the last police auction. I liked a 29er Mongoose stat and the BB bearings were shot like yours. Also picked up a cheap 26" Next bike for parts, the BB was like new. Next parts swapped into the Mongoose fine (put plenty of grease in there after cleaning out all the rust and crud). Be sure to shake the frame and listen - some of the bearing pieces went up the seat tube area and had to be extracted!
I believe you can buy the replacement bearings at Niagara or maybe your local bike shop?
After assembly and adjustment, check for "slop" after the first few rides. I had to tighten the cup adjuster twice till it was adjusted and stayed that way.

Astro shield was the best! My dad used to use it on his truck.... Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they stopped making it a while ago... Wizards shine master is the closest I've found to a replacement...
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I been hearing a lot of reports about how 'my Dad used to use it back in the day....", a web search supports that...it was like the old Simonize Saturdays when kids would polish cars all day long for a few bucks...NO wax in this stuff...but the more coats you apply...after letting each one 'cure'...the deeper the shine....;)

I like it. $100 of potential for $12!!!

Exactly...right on the spot ADVJHOG
That's just what it will fetch down here...even though it sold for less than that new :happy:

I bought a few cheapo big box bikes at the last police auction. I liked a 29er Mongoose stat and the BB bearings were shot like yours. Also picked up a cheap 26" Next bike for parts, the BB was like new. Next parts swapped into the Mongoose fine (put plenty of grease in there after cleaning out all the rust and crud). Be sure to shake the frame and listen - some of the bearing pieces went up the seat tube area and had to be extracted!
I believe you can buy the replacement bearings at Niagara or maybe your local bike shop?
After assembly and adjustment, check for "slop" after the first few rides. I had to tighten the cup adjuster twice till it was adjusted and stayed that way.

True Horsefarmer..that picture of the bearing cages is what happens when you run a bike with a bracket that is loosening up...AND...absolutesly NO GREASE or traces of it in this bike

well, at least the fine threads inside the Bottom Bracket weren't cross threaded...so that's a good thing...:thumbsup:

Turned out, I had a donor for the bottom bracket bearings right in my own backyard.
I had this little 20" Desert Rat up for sale on Clist for weeks now, without a bite....it has the exact same bottom bracket, bearings , axle that's on the big OP Roller.
DesertRat-5.jpg

After weeks on CL, if it's not moving, I'll break them down for parts, OR, sometimes I just park them out by the main road with a 'free' sign, if I want to thin the herd to bring home some 'mo.
:happy:
..........thanks for the tip on the 3m Indyjps

Last edited:
Herr Doktor...;) wow, waitaminit....you're right on...
and I have saved two fat fenders from another cruiser I flipped...a Micargi.

Just was thinking I'd like to do a replica bike....since a lot of these 'newer' bikes have that older vintage wannabee look.
so, a back rack, some other bars, some truss rods...
then, it's all in the paint job...faded, a bit rusty perhaps...some darts..
(I love that maroon and ivory scheme, that's got the old time feel)

How cool you just sent this, thanks Doc.
you da man.
;)
franco

Doc, it's no use. Gotta find something more obscure to replicate.
Or a bike that hasn't been re-introduced
Can you believe, $750 for a new "old" Electra Cruiser ?
Electra.jpg

Spend the time transforming a Roller into an Electra copy
Or worse yet....find an old one and bring it up to snuff
You'd be lucky to get half that price after all the work.

This bike stuff ...it's a funny business.
:doh:

I hear ya brother!
Looking forward to see what you do with yours!
[emoji1363]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got it all put together, and shined up...may just add a back rack and flip it.
cash flow...ya know?
cflow.jpg

Cruisers are an easy flip here, and I really don't see doin' much with this one myself, since I still make part of my meager income by fixing and flippin...if it's gonna flow...it gots to go.

New old bearings from another bike, a little love, some tuning, and a polish...and here's another cool aluminum frame cruiser ready to hit the streets....(via CraigsList).....hopefully. :grin:
ROLLER5.png

ROLLER3.png

ROLLER2.png

Ocean Pacific Roller....nice bike, rides smooth.
3 piece crank, it has a much 'tighter' feeling...more responsive feel than a Huffy Cranbrook... which is a roughly equal dept store comparison bike.
;)
franco

Hi Horsefarmer, I took your advice, rode it around fairly hard for a couple of days after I replaced BB bearings .....
I DID have to tighten up the cranks, twice....until the bearings seated themselves in all of that new grease just right...
thanks again for the tip :thumbsup:
franco

Latest posts

Back