Recent content by AndyA

1. AndyA

First Build Advice

LAGreg: Here's the thing: $20 for the bike is a good start, but you probably don't want to pay what media blasting would cost to save a pair of Huffy rims. If the rims aren't rusted through, I would soak the nipples with your choice of rust killer and see if they'll loosen up. If they do, great...
  2. AndyA

Has anyone made a trike out of a Sears Flightliner/Spaceliner bike?

Aahh, an experiment with no risk. That's logical. However, where would we be today if scientists took no risks? Just ask Victor Frankenstein or Henry Jekyll.
  3. AndyA

Has anyone made a trike out of a Sears Flightliner/Spaceliner bike?

I have no personal experience, but I have to think that whatever mechanical magic is used to create a trike is applicable to that frame. I note that you plan to use oxalic acid followed by abrasive blasting. I can't think of any advantage to the oxalic acid in this case. Just blast it! Have fun!
  4. AndyA

New acquisition: Sun Retro 24-inch

A new chain arrived yesterday so there was a test flight this morning. Forgot to tighten one of the brake pads but didn't end up under a truck. The newly free-wheeling hub is nice 'cause you don't need to hassle with the coaster brake every time you stop. The downside of the 26-inch fork is that...
  5. AndyA

Explanation needed

I've been thinkin' about getting a flux capacitor.
  6. AndyA

Explanation needed

Alternative remedial measures: Install a net to catch cyclists who can't stop in time Remove a portion of the guard rail Construct a bicycle bridge over the guard rail Paint over the bike lane Install ramps so that cyclists can jump the guard rail I'm an engineer and this sort of thing can...
  7. AndyA

Grandson found the scooter down the basement. His dad rode a similar scooter in lime green in the 80's.
  8. AndyA

Cap'n: You're not supposed to be looking at the background!
  9. AndyA

"Caliper" brakes, not "caliber" brakes. Stupid auto-correct!
  10. AndyA

Fork, stem, and HB's are now red (Krylon Satin Pimento). I'm also thinking of converting coaster brake to freewheel and adding caliber brakes fore and aft. I found an article posted online from a 1980's BMX magazine explaining how to accomplish the conversion.
  11. AndyA

Don't tell my 3 orthopedic surgeons I am here...

Brother Neil: I think that you're on the right track with the 24-incher. The Safety Committee approves of the gears and solid brakes. I have several of those in-between-size bikes and they are handy cruisers (see pics below). You'll find that your Quicksilver will roll quicker if you ditch the...
  12. AndyA

Tried a different stem/handlebar combination. Bars are higher. And I'm kinda feeling' the red on those bars. Now I'm leaning toward painting fork, stem, and and handlebars red. Also going to add a front caliper brake, for those times when stopping is not just a good idea, but necessary.
  13. AndyA

You're right. The purple handle bars got me thinking about all those cool, purple hot rods out there. I believe that I built an AMT 1949 Mercury plastic model kit and painted it purple over half a century ago. I'm going to see if Krylon makes a satin purple rattle can. I like the satin finish...
  14. AndyA

Update: Rummaging through the parts department turned out well. Found a 26" fork, front wheel, and tire. Just had to chop 5/8" off the steering tube. Also came up with stem and handlebars off a kiddie bike and a longer seat post. I kinda like the 26" wheel; makes the bike look a bit longer and...
  15. AndyA

How to proceed? Generally thinking of leaving it semi-crusty. Switch front wheel to 26-inch? Switch to BMX-style stem and handlebars? Need to get saddle higher -- maybe a layback seat post? Decisions, decisions...