Recent content by Dowie Soetenga

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Dowie Soetenga

1963 Schwinn board track racer

1963 Schwinn board track racer
  2. Dowie Soetenga

My 63 Schwinn 97cc motorized bicycle build

I did use a #35 chain from the engine clutch to the jack shaft input. For the jack shaft output to the rear wheel I used a standard bicycle sprocket for a 410 or Z510 chain. The 9T, 10T, 11T, or 17T sprocket with a 5/8" keyed bore can be purchased though http://www.sickbikeparts.com . For the...
  3. Dowie Soetenga

You guys are spot on. I'm planning on making a custom in frame tank this winter. I'm just running the peanut tank though this season. Wisconsin winters are long and boring.
  4. Dowie Soetenga

A few pictures from last night.
  5. Dowie Soetenga

I went to the Rockerbox bike rally in Milwaukee last weekend. My buddy took these pictures of me riding in. There were a few other motorized bicycles at the show. I was proud to represent with my Rat Rod bikes T-shirt.
  6. Dowie Soetenga

The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Re: The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---PAINTED!!! Beau, I am very impressed with your crank / jackshaft design. I like to say that making something simple is quite difficult indeed. Your idea of putting your clutch on the jackshaft with the BMX freewheel to the crank is ingenious. You...
  7. Dowie Soetenga

Thanks guys. That mule was real fun to engineer and build. It took me about eight months to fabricate. I used 12" motorcycle shocks for the suspension. The engine is a 6.5HP 200cc, electric start, four stroke. Yes, it does have a custom four bar front suspension just like a hot rod. I...
  8. Dowie Soetenga

The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Re: The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---PAINTED!!! That is one awesome looking machine. I can't wait to see the engine back in it. Great work.
  9. Dowie Soetenga

DesignIt, Thanks for the positive feedback. I love your flathead motor as well. I'd love to see a picture of your '29 A coupe. Not that I need any more toys, but I built a half scale M274A military mule to haul my board track racer bicycle. It also works great for hauling kids around. If...
  10. Dowie Soetenga

Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Re: Villiers board tracker VIDEO! I think with an 8HP engine you could probably go as fast as you're proposing. I would calculate this as your top speed at 4,200 rpm, and back derive your other sprockets from there. Again, a 44 or 46 tooth sprocket is standard for a rear wheel. I built a...
  11. Dowie Soetenga

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Keeping the design simple is the hard part. I used an engineering program called SolidWorks to to the 3D CAD modeling, renderings, and blueprints. The hot rod in the background is a 1931 Ford Roadster with a 1939 Flathead V8 motor. My board track...
  12. Dowie Soetenga

Re: Villiers board tracker VIDEO! I would reccomend calculating your gear ratio for a top speed you actually want to go at 4,200 rpm. 35 - 40 mph is really fast on a bicycle. With an 8hp engine, you can achieve higher speeds, but I don't think that you want to go as fast as you're proposing...
  13. Dowie Soetenga

Re: Villiers board tracker VIDEO! Congratulations! My wife is due with our second little one tomorrow. Kids are a wonderful thing. I still work in my shop, but it's always after 8pm. (After the kid(s) go to bed) So you will still have time to wrench, just not as much time as you used to...
  14. Dowie Soetenga

A good Ace or True Value hardware store carries them. They have both metric and standard. The rear frame tubes on my 63 schwinn measured .551" so a 14mm split shaft collar fits perfect. I used split shaft collars for my motor mounts as well. 1.00" for the bottom two mounts, and .625" for the...
  15. Dowie Soetenga

Thanks for the positive feedback(s) on the brake bosses. They work great might I add. I've been running them for one season with no issues. The split shaft collars "clamps" hold tight. I've had no issues with them shifting after I installed them. If I had the time to make a good welding...
Back