Recent content by Falstaff

1. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge discussion

If you can get the bolts tight enough, you might be ok. Depends on what your knife will be used for. If its a chopper, I'd use epoxy.
  2. Falstaff

Blue loctite might be handy, just to make sure they don't loosen.
  3. Falstaff

Looks good. It's easier to work leather on a granite slab, but obviously not Oh, also getting the leather wet softens it.
  4. Falstaff

Looks good. It's easier to work leather on a granite slab, but obviously not necessary.
  5. Falstaff

I've seen similar setups used on knives before, maybe if you look up knife making supplies online.
  6. Falstaff

RRBBO13 Ratillac.

Really been wanting to get another one of these kits, but dang. When I got this one it was $500, now they're $900. I'm not sure I'm into it that much, but who knows... I haven't done a built off lately.
  7. Falstaff

Rat Rod Blades Challenge 2021 - Build thread

Something like an Usuba?
  8. Falstaff

It'll be interesting to see how the quartz works out. I can't start until my camper is finished, possibly within the next couple weeks.
  9. Falstaff

Take it easy, definitely don't want surgery.
  10. Falstaff

Looks like a good chopper... for broccoli.
  11. Falstaff

Love those scales.
  12. Falstaff

May as well use it.
  13. Falstaff

@OddJob @Verrt With cutting from something already hardened like a saw blade or file, you have to watch the heat when cutting. If using an angle grinder you watch the cuts for discoloration. Golden/straw color is what you look for when tempering, it won't damage the hardness. If you see...
  14. Falstaff

They make a nice tomahawk when re-forged.
  15. Falstaff

A knife made from a file won't require hardening as long as you don't over heat the metal while shaping the knife. But tempering it will prevent it from being brittle. Remember a file can sometimes break if it's dropped. If you're using something like a lawnmower blade you'll want to heat and...