Recent content by SkidMark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. S

Triple Red and Yellow Band Rebuild- Questions, Answers, Pics

Both the Bendix and Sutherland's Manuals specify ELEVEN ball bearings, NOT TWELVE. The way the balls are up against each other is going to cause damage. There needs to be space in between each ball or they will grind against each other as they rotate. Go ahead think about it for a second.
  2. S

Diamond frame board track - Varsity gettin some love (DONE!)

Nice to meet you last night. I voted for your bike. It really stood out, it was the first bike I noticed. Congrats!
  3. S

☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Much respect to the man that makes his own wheels. When I saw your spoke concept I thought of these: Cool thing is they would "read" from both sides because of your square spokes. The frame reminds me of the bridges in Portland, OR I liked Glen's girder...
  4. S

Help! New Departure "D" spoke length?

Not buying it until I run the numbers. It's probably within 2mm. I usually build wheels with old hubs and new double-wall aluminum rims, and do the spoke calculator thing every time. It's nice to have access to a spoke cutter/threader. That price quote for custom length spokes was ridiculous...
  5. S

Not shocking at all if it's a Bendix hub, because the pre-Red Band ones have a larger flange diameter.
  6. S

The distinction of "balloon tire bikes" is an important one. The 3x wheels I have must be from middleweight cruisers. 4x is not always the strongest lacing pattern. It certainly isn't when the there is a spoke head rubbing against the elbow of the next spoke. In my direct experience this...
  7. S

For each cross you have an inbound and an outbound spoke. For cross-4 the outbound spoke crosses over 4 inbound spokes. These days wheels are built with the last cross laced under because it builds a stronger wheel. I do this to every wheel I ride on. I have original coasterbrake wheels laced...
  8. S

You can calculate spoke length online. http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator You'll have to know a few dimensions. The ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) is can be measured by measuring the inside diameter of the rim and adding the thickness of the rim multiplied by 2. I am going...
  9. S

Zenith quick build.

I started this thread to sort decide whether or not I would do a Build-Off thread, by gauging the response to this bike. Don't think I will.
  10. S

Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Re: Heavyweight scratch build "FATBOB" On hold till after RRBBO8 Hey Luke how about an update? Where is this project standing right now? It's like there isn't even a box for you to think outside of.
  11. S

Zenith quick build.

Hey Luke, I just want to thank you for commenting. Not sure why this thread is a ghost town. I am open to criticism as well as compliments.
  12. S

Zenith quick build.

Re: Zenith quick build. UP AND RIDING! Mudflap. I might detail the checkerboard flags with white paint. Thanks to my new friend Dan for giving up this Brooks B66. I have a sidestand for now. I will be making a centerstand when I get paid on Friday.
  13. S

My Bob Brown and John Brain’s Illustration Project

Great project, skilled craftsmanship, and serious attention to detail. Mad props.
  14. S

New Found Speedster

That looks great! Big fan of green with brown trim. The twine and shellacked tape on the moustache bars and those awesome levers....just wow.
  15. S

Zenith quick build.

Re: Zenith quick build. UP AND RIDING! I dug out the generator that goes with the "Deluxe Sport" light. I tested the bulb (and the spare bulb in the holder inside the light housing) with my 120 to 12 volt transformer, and they were both good. I have a working headlight now.
Back