Recent content by Wildcat

1. Wildcat

Loose bearings for headset

I was just pointing out a typo. I remember the English 3 speeds with 22 tiny bearings in each cup on the headset. Usually around 10 got lost and it was put back missing them, but plenty of grease.
  2. Wildcat

You mean ditch the cages?
  3. Wildcat

Late 80's Nishiki rebuild

The painting went well, until the frame slipped off the post holding it and landed in the dirt. But it wasn't the real problem, the paint came out a caramel brown instead of Honda Yellow. So, maybe that candy style paint requires a white primer, I used gray. I'll get a couple more cans of paint...
  4. Wildcat

2000 Orange Heavy Duti

Looks like she rode it once and that was it. It's a new bike!
  5. Wildcat

That bar weighs a ton. I was thinking of finding one for my bike, but I'll stick with the alloy uprights even though they don't look anywhere near as good.
  6. Wildcat

A couple rainy days in a row, so no primer yet, so I worked on other parts. The kickstand was big and chrome, but after cleaning it up and getting some bolts for it, I see it's bent and has a small crack where it was bent. So, a cheap alloy stand will replace it, and take a pound off the total...
  7. Wildcat

On that Murray frame I would expect the same size cups and bearings as the usual sets. Many of the older bikes and English bikes used loose bearings. When you take them apart, bearings go everywhere if you don't catch them in a bucket. To install them, the grease holds them in place while you...
  8. Wildcat

Roast My YouTube Channel

No problem with the vid, just might be more entertaining with a dog in it. An occasional zoomed in shot on the dog's reaction to something you just did would be a good effect. But I'm no expert. When I used to get into Earth Science on my weather briefs in the military, I'd get yelled at to get...
  9. Wildcat

Cantilever brake question

Thanks! That's what I needed. It shows the loop hanging off the end just like mine. It works fine that way so that must be the way it's supposed to be. My brake levers are Chang Star and are heavy enough for a motorcycle.
  10. Wildcat

Schwinn s6 wheel question.

I reread your post. Of course you should get another bike! What was I thinking?
  11. Wildcat

Schwinn s6 wheel question.

I've put those standard 26 wheels on a couple of lightweight Schwinns made for 27" wheels. The rear had to be coaster, hand brakes didn't reach as noted above. 3 speed with coaster on a 65 Continental and an old S-7 yellow band 2 speed kickback on a 73 Varsity. If I had anything wider than 2.125...
  12. Wildcat

Cantilever brake question

I'm redoing this 87 Nishiki with cantilever brakes. The end of the springs hung out like they didn't belong there, but it's been ridden that way for years. The ends are a loop that doesn't hook to anything. Are these the wrong springs or am I doing it wrong? The brand name on the brakes is CS.
  13. Wildcat

Chrome Molly

My new seat posts showed up and I redid the old seat yet again. I took off the red finish and brought it back to it's original black color, and made it look more vintage at the same time by going over it with sandpaper. I added the heavier springs previously to keep from bottoming out.
  14. Wildcat

It's got the new cluster, derailleur and chain, so the Suntour hub and freewheel with derailleur is going into the parts bin. I could lace up the non drive side of the old hub to an 24" rim I have, maybe 4 cross, and then have enough leverage. But there's a little play in the freewheel and the...
  15. Wildcat

Chrome Molly

That's true, I've lowered my optimum gear inches over the years. When I used a bike to ride 5 miles to work, it had an old 3 speed hub stuck in high with a 52 tooth chain wheel. 98.75 gear inches is what the calculator says. My dad borrowed my bike to run to the store and thought something was...