(MBBO #05 Class II) Gasser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to do a fairly simple build based on the Gassers of Hot Rod fame. I have a bike from a previous couple of builds along with some shiny steel things that may serve as headers. A small front tire and big rear tire, banana seat and apes. That's about it, except for paint. Gassers are fairly flashy, so it will be bright yellow, orange, or red, or a combination of the three.

1964-ford-falcon-gasser-wallpaper-2.jpg
DSCI0007.JPG

Great concept. There were some nice ratty gassers back in the day, too. Nothing more American when it comes to motorsports than a gasser.

furyus

Off topic here
I'm not sure where in the Philippines you are, but I hope you and yours are well.
Everything is good here, like Hawaii on a budget. No typhoons at this time but my city is protected by mountains which helps. Crime is way down and rainy season is almost over. Where I live is right near Subic Bay, where our military bases used to be, now a tourist spot. It's all good!

subic 008.JPG

Everything is good here, like Hawaii on a budget. No typhoons at this time but my city is protected by mountains which helps. Crime is way down and rainy season is almost over. Where I live is right near Subic Bay, where our military bases used to be, now a tourist spot. It's all good!

View attachment 33006
Good to hear, I read about an explosion in a market.

Good to hear, I read about an explosion in a market.
Getting off topic, but that happened in the Southern part where the terrorist cells are, the new government is taking them out so they are trying to maintain a foothold. The previous government tried to negotiate to no avail.

Back on subject, I laid out everything to see what's needed.
1. I found my old tall sissybar, it and the apes are rusty too. They will get silver paint. The seat just needs cleaned, but I'm hunting for a loaf style seat. The sissybar may get a parachute of some kind that will double as a backrest.
all-steel-nostalgia-gasser-race-car-or-street-ez-10s-355-525hp-coan-trans-wow-5.jpg

DSCI0001.JPG

2. The rear hub needs the freewheel cog and will also take a band brake, I'm happy to see that! The band brake will add a little bling as it has a big chrome housing for the brake strap.
DSCI0002.JPG

BRK-80C.jpg

3. It's got the strange size cranks that needs the lockwasher, I may have to make that somehow because the shops probably don't have that size.
4. Then I need to clean up the tank area and decide what to do there. I'm thinking graphics of some kind now instead of pipes. I know a shop where they do the handpainted custom work.
Mr+Gasser+-+9.jpg

5. Changing the front tire and getting a new chain and prepping for paint should be all that's left.

I'm interested in knowing how well the band brake works, never saw one on a bicycle.
I've used a few that were made cheaply, and had to brace them up. I'll see if I can find a heavy duty one for this build. When I was lighter, the band brake could lock up the wheel easily, but now, at 100 kilos, they provide only adequate stopping power for me. I had one on my converted Schwinn Varsity, along with Z-rims, 5 speed and knobby 2.125" tires, that worked very well back in the 80's. Some kids in California where I was stationed said it was "trick".
They don't give any braking action rolling backwards, and are known to develop a squeal. Many of the bikes used as transportation and work in Asia use a band brake, as they last a long time. I put one on the front wheel of my sidecar bike for added stopping power.

China_26_japanese_women_city_bike2010471434395.jpg

sidecar 004 - Copy.JPG

love me some gassers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had a 55 belair gasser a couple years ago i miss that car

55 Belair! That's the holy grail of gassers, isn't it?
Here's some more fun!

55 Belair! That's the holy grail of gassers, isn't it?
Here's some more fun!

that is almost what mine looke like except green windows and shamrock decals on the side and in the rear 1/4 window yes it is a holy grail car and one of ym favorites i bought it for 5500 of a guy that wanted to get it out of his garage that thing could sing dance and draw attantion of cops but ti was a sweet car

Latest posts

Back