Phat-Desoto Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
married up an old chopper frame with a trike rear. had the phat chopper around for the springer front. wanted that for a 20" project that has been stewing in my head for a while. anyway added a fork off a 27" royce onion and 1/2 a can off buzz black and bob's your uncle.

phatt001.jpg

phatt002.jpg

phatt003.jpg

phatt004.jpg

it's probably going on craigslist... can't lock it up outside due to the criminal element in the neighborHOOD...

Hi first of all don`t paint mags, you dye them, with fabric dye ( for a full how too search the bmx boards) secondly try changing to red wall tires? like these.
R0010448.jpg

Trike looking great

Thanks for the dye tip. I wanted to paint them red just didn't have the time as of yet.

24" red wall tires won't be an easy find and definately not in a street tread.

Specialized makes a set of 24" red walls. I have them on my Columbia w/ the monark springer. They're not street tread, but they're not bad for riding on the street, and they look pretty cool. If you want, I can get you the info on them.

hey nice trike Tsudo.

i am interested in building one, but i am wondering how the rear wheels attach.
is it one axel that goes through the frame and bolts both wheels on?

and are they special wheels for a trike? or could i use regular wheels?

any insight you could give me would be awesome!

BLINK!

Don`t quote me on this , but as far as I can remember, you need big tub to submerge you stripped rims in, and you bleach them mildly. Then use the right amount of dye to water? and i think you add salt to fix (but that will be on the tin-instructions!) brings them up like new!
But don`t take my word for it search the BMX forums for dying mag wheels, you`ll find it outhere somewhere.
Iain

hey nice trike Tsudo.

i am interested in building one, but i am wondering how the rear wheels attach.
is it one axel that goes through the frame and bolts both wheels on?

some have a singular axle and one fixed wheel, this was a trailmate rear. it has two axles, one axle has the drive sprocket attached.

and are they special wheels for a trike? or could i use regular wheels?

there are some kits that use regular wheels but most trikes I have worked with use special wheels. they look alot like wheelchair hubs with bearings. there are also pinned wheels. these have the bearings in the rear end and are hard attached to the axles. this is this type.

any insight you could give me would be awesome!

find a trike rear axle. that's what I did. most will fit on the dropouts of any bike. you can mix and match. the first incarnation of this trike was a jesse james chopper frame and this rear. I hacked the JJ chopper for the front end and moved some parts around so you see what we have here today.

qwerty5oo

thanks for the ideas... I got a few BMX contacts, I'll look around for the dyeing instructions and ask if anyone else has done it. I also have some nasty tanned 20" rims I'll try and make over. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really looking to keep the whitewalls. red rims would be a good touch.

cheers

That's hot.I like the lean on the seat and it looks light and easy to ride for a trike.

NIce trike man! I just got a trailmaster, and I thought I recognized the rear end... As far as trike stuff, aztlan bikes website has some trike rearends that use a front and rear wheel from a bike. Other lowrider sites are probably similar... They look identical to the old ret. bar cycles company kits, like the one I installed onto a Schwinn Heavy-duti bike only chrome... Seems to be a pretty solid kit. The trike I built has a 400-plus pound man riding around on it and he rides everyday... I did do a little bit of welding where there was more flex than I thought there should be... Anyways just thought I'd chime in...

Latest posts

Back