hand lever coaster brake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I tried a quick search, found nothing.

Has anyone here ever connected a coaster brake arm to a hand control? Would it even make the brake work?

It's the counter clockwise rotation of the sprocket that actuates the brake. Not sure how you would attach anything to the sprocket for that purpose. Also wonder if you would have enough leverage with a brake lever to slow down compared to the leverage that your legs put out.

I was thinking something like a frame mount shifter to make a power brake, maybe with a rod connected to the brake arm.
I thought if I mount the wheel with the brake arm vertical to the dropout it might work, guess I'd have to test it.

I was thinking something like a frame mount shifter to make a power brake, maybe with a rod connected to the brake arm.
I thought if I mount the wheel with the brake arm vertical to the dropout it might work, guess I'd have to test it.
Terrifying....
But please check back w the results.

How would you disable the braking function from the drive function? And what clam said.....if the brake arm lets loose, the hub will over tighten.

I am not sure how this would ever work.

Terrifying....
But please check back w the results.
ChemicalExplosion.jpg

I think it would work once... the arm returning would be issue. Would need to with linkage not cable.
I think its possible, not sure effectivly desirable, but have u seen the front coster brake set ups around here function over form is not the rule of standard here.

Marry a three speed hub to a coaster, so you can use the 3 speed chain / arm to somehow actuate the brake from the inside? Or a custom rod? At least you'd have access to the inside of the hub.... using just the coaster arm, you'd need a return spring or something. I feel like this is one for trm & luke.
I also think it can be done.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I just followed that link. Not what I expected. Somewhere on here, I'm almost positive that I saw a coaster wheel on the fork up front. Must be in the same line as what you are thinking. It exists.

Yea, I've seen coaster brake on the front with a chain connected to it so the cog can turn back.
I'm sure one day I'll figure it out.

The New Departure WD was a front wheel coaster brake.

I was refrancing the hammer hung as an actuator and lever... that screams all bad too me.
But looks cool. But yeah its a pendulem fully loaded resdy to drop its load and lock it up on its own.
There is no reason it would not work the return is the issue. Thats also not hard to solve, ud need build a cage to limit the throw of the arm and to know it reseated the hub where it started from tension wise. In theory yes using the arm is same as the cog side...
Other issue i see is now youd secure the axle to the drops. I tend to seat the wheel and chain first then tension the brake.
But ive had hubs fail because the arm got loose and opend up enough to stop the coster from working.

I dont know bud its totally feasable i just dont know the benifits merrit the work. It would not be very noticable as a mod, so i guess there is some cool factor to that also.

I do think there is valid concern with leverage... we already double power from the sprokets... that could be compinsated by pullys as well

Can be done, is a neat idea, not sure the reward is there from the trouble. Beyond some pride and being stubben.. but not to worry, i find myself there often.

Note how hard it is to move coaster arm in loaded rim... its doable the forces are the issue. Ill ride some sketchy stuff... i do enjoy my rear coaster working when i need it easy.

OK if you did want to do it.. id make the linkage able to lockout in disingauged posission.. that way u still had a functional coster off the peddle.

Great now he got me going alsom

It does seem like a lot of work, and probably won't be worth anything other than cool factor.
Nothing I've thought of will work with a coaster brake, but one idea might work with freewheel.

Latest posts

Back