First Pre-war, Colson Scout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Well here it is what I hope to be a pre-war Colson Scout, any thing you guys can tell me about this would be awesome.
IMG_8871.jpg
IMG_8879.jpg
IMG_8880.jpg

Found this in Seattle Washington, got it from a antique shop right on the docks the guy that had it new what it was but also did not. example, he had about 10 Schwinns from the 50's for about $850 to $1200. and this was siting outside his shop for $350, then I talked him down to $300.
IMG_8873.jpg
IMG_8874.jpg
IMG_8875.jpg
IMG_8876.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_8878.jpg
IMG_8883.jpg
IMG_8887.jpg
IMG_8888.jpg

here is the serial-number, a year would be awesome.
IMG_8889.jpg

Last edited:
What a clean find and so eye catching from every angle. Congrats.
I've noticed that angle on the forks of other Colsons (and mine too) so'd like to know if that might be how they left the factory.

What a clean find and so eye catching from every angle. Congrats.
I've noticed that angle on the forks of other Colsons (and mine too) so'd like to know if that might be how they left the factory.

no the bend in the fork is not factory, it's bent but it's an easy fix.

To see if your forks have a bend, the sure fire way to check them is to remove them from the bike and lay them on a table and check the position of the top tube to the fork blades. They should be in a straight line, until the blade takes a curve toward the bottom. Where the bend is should be fairly evident. Usually it's right at the crown, where it butts up to the frame. Check that for cracks that sometimes develop. But I've also seen bent blades or the top tube bent halfway up.
images

Congrats on the Colson! I'm loving my "new" one as well :)

Awesome find !!!
You will be amazed on how nice that bike will clean up.
Time for some WD40 and 0000 steel wool. Sapray the 0000 steel woll down with the WD40 and clean it slowly and that paint / chrome will pop. Once you do that wipe it down dry and then wipe it down again with some boiled linseed oil ( paint section at Home Depot )
Let that sit and soak for 10 mins and wipe that down - some will remain and it'll look amazing. *** Take before and after pics

Awesome find !!!
You will be amazed on how nice that bike will clean up.
Time for some WD40 and 0000 steel wool. Sapray the 0000 steel woll down with the WD40 and clean it slowly and that paint / chrome will pop. Once you do that wipe it down dry and then wipe it down again with some boiled linseed oil ( paint section at Home Depot )
Let that sit and soak for 10 mins and wipe that down - some will remain and it'll look amazing. *** Take before and after pics

You just read my mind :cool2:.

Really diggin' the frame on this one. Colson is one I've yet to own myself among a few other choice Makers. +1UP

Latest posts

Back