(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like plenty of room for padding, should be a comfy seat.
I am hoping for at least 2" of padding, should be cushy!

I too vote no canopy. Think about this, if you have a canopy and you're out riding. What happens to you and the bike if a strong Antarctic wind comes up? :blackeye:

Worse case scenario I know, but....
I sail with the wind! :thumbsup:

sailtrike.jpg

Yeah, good point... :39:

Luke.

I have always wanted to do that.
I have seen some videos of them on some of the dry lakes not far from where we live, and they get some serious speeds and most of the time run with one side completely off the ground... Crazy stuff!

Luke.

I haven't followed this close enough to know if you have plan for wheel covers. Depending on the rim size, some old school wheel covers/hubcaps would be cool.
1ee862cde52bb503358f6b2000d27beb.jpg

52e9b2369676655e3db27344557a9fba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't followed this close enough to know if you have plan for wheel covers. Depending on the rim size, some old school wheel covers/hubcaps would be cool.
1ee862cde52bb503358f6b2000d27beb.jpg

52e9b2369676655e3db27344557a9fba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a plan... ;)
Australian Fairlane 500 hupcaps fit inside the rim lips, I can run some small bolts to bolt them to the spokes...

fairlane wheel covers.jpg

I have 2 of those to use on the outside of the rear wheels, the inside will be plain flat aluminium covers.

Luke.

I thought it was kinda cool to be able to see the differential thru the mag. I was wondering about changing the rims into two spoke rims to actually show more, maybe like two triangular blades or wing shapes. It's a pretty modern mag style I see on cars.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

The build is looking great, Luke. The top is a no in my book. The problem is size and until you posted the measurements, I thought the bike was bigger. I'm not sure folks can tell but the 4 ft wheelbase should give them an idea. Right now the bike has beef, muscle and brute strength. Let's put a flimsy top on it NOT. A top big enough would be overwhelming and look like an afterthought if it didn't flow just right.

Carl.
Isn't that pretty much the case for anything we do with our builds Carl? Make sure it doesn't look like an 'afterthought if it didn't flow just right'? C'mon man!

I thought it was kinda cool to be able to see the differential thru the mag. I was wondering about changing the rims into two spoke rims to actually show more, maybe like two triangular blades or wing shapes. It's a pretty modern mag style I see on cars.
Yes^^ what about some triangles added to the spokes to make them look like magwheels ?:39:
index.php_zpsg5j789fh.jpg

Last edited:

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...
Yes^^ what about some triangles added to the spokes to make them look like magwheels ?:39:
index.php_zpsg5j789fh.jpg
Appreciate the thought guys, but I am going for the 1960's custom look with the whitewalls, purple candy flake paint and quilted white vinyl trim, the Fairlane hubcaps suit the look perfectly...

Luke.

Appreciate the thought guys, but I am going for the 1960's custom look with the whitewalls, purple candy flake paint and quilted white vinyl trim, the Fairlane hubcaps suit the look perfectly...

Luke.
yeah! :thumbsup: sry can't help myself sometimes :wink1:
when i like a project, thoughts come trough like if it was mine:oops:
14484932_1239385329415026_3917249377575884507_n_zpsd3da1mop.jpg

Fairlane hubcaps are timeless!

when i like a project, thoughts come trough like if it was mine:oops:
I know the feeling, sometimes I have to hold myself back from suggesting too many ideas...

Luke.

My view of late 60 and early 70s show circut builds here in cali especially was to re-enter the next year you had to have new modifications and not just paint. Thats where the quad headlights and scoops and scallops cut everywhere came from.
I think it's on the money for an era appropriate look.
Builds were about fun.. this one has that vibe.
If we were worried about function over form maybe I'd start to agree w restraints.... But I don't think a build with so mutch "cause I can" spirit should.
And the rear rims and tires should be enough a counter weight for thise concerned with the fore coming chopper top.:crazy2::crazy2:

Last edited:
My view of late 60 and early 70s show circut builds here in cali especially was to re-enter the next year you had to have new modifications and not just paint. Thats where the quad headlights and scoops and scallops cut everywhere came from.
I think it's on the money for an era appropriate look.
Builds were about fun.. this one has that vibe.
If we were worried about function over form maybe I'd start to agree w restraints.... But I don't think a build with so mutch "cause I can" spirit should.
And the rear rims and tires should be enough a counter weight for thise concerned with the fore coming chopper top.:crazy2::crazy2:
:thumbsup:
Another amazing creation taking shape here Luke. Love it. Especially like how you can see that big pumpkin from the front...really looks cool.:41::41::41:
Thanks Chad!
I am liking your thinking Luke!

P9090040-vi.jpg
That is perfect! Pretty much the style and look I am going for! :43:

Luke.

Weather has been average lately, as has my health, and when I finally get a day where both are ok, I have other things that need doing, like mowing the lawn...

Was cool and windy all day today, and I woke up really sore, but come 6pm the wind dropped and I was feeling ok, so headed out to just try and get some progress happening, once the fire pit got going and I started to work, I got in the groove and actually ended up getting quite a bit done!

Apologies for the lack of 'in progress' shots today, just slipped my mind until I was nearly done.

First thing to do was actually cut the frame across the back panel to make a relief slot on one side, while it was together and rolling I noticed that the frame was slightly canted, so a quick 1mm slot on one side and weld it all back together and problem solved!

Then finished off the welding on the rear panel and started bending up the steel strips for the side panels, when they were tacked in place I added square tube seat supports that tie down to the diff support:

2016-10-11 22.27.13.jpg

2016-10-11 22.24.02.jpg

Started making the filler pieces for the frame at each end of the side panels, pretty happy when I had them cut out as it turned out that both sides were almost identical, pretty impressive since the curved pieces were all done by hand!

Here is one side with the filler piece that is meant for the other side in place to show just how similar they are:

2016-10-11 22.25.30.jpg

Anyway, got them made and tacked in:

2016-10-11 22.26.30.jpg

Welded:

2016-10-11 22.29.51.jpg

The rear:

2016-10-11 22.29.11.jpg

You can see where the relief cut was made to straighten the frame in this pic: (It is the weld straight across at the top of the pic)

2016-10-11 22.30.39.jpg

Then finished welding in the seat supports:

2016-10-11 22.27.57.jpg

And that was what happened today! Happy with the progress!

2016-10-11 22.30.11.jpg

Next step will be to add the backing plates inside the side panels, but that should be easy compared to that lot!

Luke.

Looking great! I foresee a lot of grinding in your future.:whew:
A huge amount of grinding and sanding... :confused:

Still have to weld the bottom frame piece fully, then all the way around the seat cut out and the two side panel cut outs too, then grind and sand all that as well!

Much easier last year with 'Pedro' building a tube frame than this fabricated semi-monocoque/unibody frame type thing... :doh:

I think even 'BigJim' was less fabrication work than this! :21:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back