Show me your quality spray bomb job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Job. Is that Duplicolor Clear?
best regards
Franco

I spray bomb almost all my bikes. It is easy clean up. You can find high quality clear with activator in a can. I haven't used any yet, but I have seen it smelled it and felt it. It is definitely a step up from the regular rattle can clear.

Here is some of my spray can work.

It has a silver base coat. Duplicolor metal cast red and a clear. I like the metal cast colors. I did my wife's bike in blue and I think it turned out really nice. I don't think this clear will hold up long in the elements but it doesn't really see them much anyway.

DSCI0210.jpg

DSCI0209.jpg

DSCI0207-1.jpg

Semi-gloss clear over olive Krylon to make it easier to clean than flat (this is my do-everything beater). The red on the seat stays and yellow on the wheels are reflective tape and the graphics are inkjet waterslide decals.

11219001_10153005563373191_1257105066631361198_n.jpg

11329754_10153005563378191_5732734179098852190_n.jpg

41343_423828263190_1856879_n.jpg

41343_423828248190_1407686_n.jpg

Cool thread with some very impressive work!

Most of my builds are rusty but I did paint my last build-off bike. All rattle can, mostly matte black.
03_zpsnzs70mh5.jpg

The bottom of the tank and the fenders are flat black.
tank%20inset_zpsunxcppig.jpg

The lighting made the flat black look grey in this photo.
tank%20inset%202_zpsdcjylgz0.jpg

This one bar is gloss black. Should've painted it first and saved a lot of work masking.:blackeye:
Rack%20Tube_zpszumhjmgv.jpg

DupliColor Clear Effex over bare metal...

It says it's a metallic multicolor effect... and it's great over colors.
The cool thing is that in low light you can't see it. No dots or fuzz at all.

Carl.

Here's my first spray bomb job. Duplicolor base/clear. I forget the name of the color but I call it Chrysler Schwinn Red. (Might be inferno red now that I think about it..:39:)

80-picture_php_pictureid_243555_a6d24040775cd0afcf015d1a37cc41046663b0d0.jpg

If you can sand and buff you can get good results with spray cans.

main.php

This one was painted with paint from Automotivetouchup.com. Color is Mazda Spirited Green Metallic. Really like their clear. The color is expensive though.

rGuIU8.jpg

paint2_zpsik4hyigv.jpg~original

Another one with Automotivetouchup Paint. Lambo Orange Arancio Imir LY2F

fc4ce261-c79e-40c2-b2d6-9fb59edad37c_zpsjpwvxwfs.jpg~original

main.php

This one is Automotivetouchup paint too. 1975 Chevy Corvette Orange. (The color of the original General Lee.)

done4_zpsgy87uywx.jpg~original

This last one is Duplicolor. Silver, charcoal and metallic black. Just grabbed what looked good at Autozone. I used rustoleum clear laquer. Kinda thin but the big cans were cheap and it laid down real smooth after it dried.

paint5_zpsctjioq2y.jpg~original

I like to put the clear on thick (after a couple thin coats) I spray real close to the tubes and just let it run down. Most of it flattens out as it dries and it's easier to sand some runs than smooth out orange peel trying to do thin coats.

Wow I've been doing lots of spray painting....good thing I do it outside..:21:

Biggest downside is it chips real easy. Etch primer helps.

Last edited:
Yes, I used duplicolor clear but I would like to re-clear a few bikes with some of this.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/spraymax-2-part-2k-urethane-aerosol-clear-coat-p3685.html

I've heard nothing but good things about that 2part clear.
I used Duplicolor Engine enamel on my recent MBBO5 bike, beautiful coverage...it's been 'cured' for weeks now, and when I polish it, still getting a lot of 'blue' on the rag. Duplicolor makes an engine enamel clear..probably should've shot some of that on it, in hindsight.
:happy:

Duplicolor and VHT base coats with Roth Rattlebombs and 2K clear.View attachment 42364 View attachment 42365 View attachment 42366 View attachment 42367

That IS a super duper paint job right there, I'll tell ya.
:thumbsup:

Since I've read up on and seen some posts about the 2K clear, it sounds pretty toxic....you need basically a hazmat suit to apply it..so I'm not goin' there....mostly because I do have asthma...I'd probably need a nebulizer treatment after spraying it. :bigsmile:
Just working all day with the cleaning stuff, grease and regular spray paint I gotta puff on my inhaler at the end of the day.
But, if I could use it...I d certainly give it a go

Nice job Dave
franco

This was really just a little 'aside' project, because sometimes, the mind wanders. :doh: Shouldn't even be messin with it since I have 3 bikes to fix up for customers. sheeeesh.

But, someone threw this Huffy mtn bike at me...which was originally just stickers and rust. I planned to do a replica of that Columbia folding bike for the WBO, since the downtube was nice and stout, so I removed ugly stickers and sanded it down...but the frame wasn't gonna work, indeed it would end up being more work than I wanted to tackle right now..so I'm leaning towards refurbishing the ol' Vista Duchess lawn ornament bike instead for the WBO....but that's another story altogether.

Anyway...just playing around with a two color 'fade'...and it turned out pretty good...not a 'quality' spray bomb job perhaps..but definitely quite passable. Valspar hunter green and Valspar ivory with a Rustoleum clear.
I'll just put it together and sell on Clist...make somebody a pretty cool bike.
collage2.jpg
huffyprojec2t.jpg
huffyprojectafte2r.jpg

Auto touch up paint acrylic enamel clear pearl blue over black

Attachments

• 0405181748b.jpg
    0405181748b.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 0405181748c.jpg
    0405181748c.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 241