Cycle Therapy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patina sanding done. Installed the headset & fork, bottom bracket adapter, cartridge bottom bracket & crank, Nice used B-72 saddle, a couple cable clamps, and found a different headbadge...

I don't like full cable housings and these cable stops will allow open cables to be installed. This reduces cable friction and a tiny bit of weight - not that it matters on an already heavy bike...

The rear cable stop has always been an issue on my klunker builds. I'm trying something a little different this time around. This one is made from a plastic chainguard clamp. We'll see how it works out. The welded on derailleur hanger makes wheel removal a lot easier and allows a greater selection of higher quality derailleurs.

Originally this bike came with a brass BF Goodrich headbadge but I had this Spitfire badge in the parts bin and I think it will look better with the build.

I'm using this SR stem from a 1983 Schwinn Predator. In the early 90's I bought a bunch of these bikes in rough condition and parted them out. This is the third build that will use one of these.

With all these little parts fitted and the wheels built, the rest should go fairly quick and it should resemble a bike soon!

For the rear cable mount at the chainstay, what about using one of the sturmey cable stops from one of the bikes that used full housing and no pulley? They ran the housing down the frame all the way to the stay, you could flip it to have bare cable to the stop, then housing from there to the derailleur.

keep the rubber side down!

For the rear cable mount at the chainstay, what about using one of the sturmey cable stops from one of the bikes that used full housing and no pulley? They ran the housing down the frame all the way to the stay, you could flip it to have bare cable to the stop, then housing from there to the derailleur.

keep the rubber side down!

I did think about that but the pre-war stays are a little bigger than normal and shaped funny. Most standard sized clamps won't fit. Plus, I didn't have one in my stash... I think what I have will work. It just needs real world tested...

Last edited:
Put the wheels on to kind of, sort of get an idea of how it's going to look. I think I like it! Handlebars are next...

IMG_6028_zpspdlfosvs.JPG

Last edited:
The bars were 33" wide. Since I have little short tyrannosaurus arms I'm going to upset the purists and hack an inch off of each side.

IMG_6046_zpsremyxd5w.JPG

Grips, thumbies, and levers are next...

IMG_6050_zpsfeii8wgm.JPG

With the bars in place I can now install the front wheel and brakes.

IMG_6055_zpsuy3qceq1.JPG

And start running the gear cables.

IMG_6054_zps3o9pesgj.jpg~original.jpg

Last edited:
Wheels came out nice!
I love the parts selection so far.

This looks like it's gonna be a ripper! Really like the brake details and them chunky looking tyres. Got motto bars on my "klunker" really sets off that beefy front end look

With the rear wheel in place, the cables run, and all the remaining little parts installed, I now have something that resembles a functional bicycle!

IMG_6058_zpsty2mdemx.JPG

Still needs some fine tuning but it appears the mix of components will play nicely with each other. It shifts, starts, stops, rolls, and steers...

I just need some nice weather to give it a good shakedown run!

Last edited:
Those tires really compliment the frame and vintage look of this klunker. Like the gum rubber grips and thumbies as well! It all fits together really well. Looking forward to some live video that goes 'klunk' in the dirt!
desertclassictrail.png

Hows your build riding?
Are you done?

Hows your build riding?
Are you done?

Yes, the bike has been completed and I've been having a ball with it! I've been spending way too much time trying to get my build pictures off of the Photobucket site and uploaded directly to this thread. Between tons of pop up ads, an old slow computer, and error messages during edits, it's not going so well...

Just make sure you post it in the Finished section before the deadline

Great looking build! I've always been a fan of klunkers, and have thought about building one for quite some time. You're in my neck of the woods, maybe I'll see you on the trails when I do.

More pix...

B-72 and a little bag which I believe to be Eastern European or Russian military.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Tange BMX headset, cable stop, and Spitfire badge close up.

IMG_0575.JPG

When you receive enough therapy, you get a sticker!

IMG_0576.JPG

Atom drum brake hub looks cool and has a nice feel but only suggests that you stop. It's not a tire skidder!

IMG_0577.JPG

Bottom bracket adapter and cartridge bottom bracket.

IMG_0578.JPG

Way cool XTR skewer with cutouts and tidy dropouts on the Tange fork.

IMG_0579.JPG

This build came out great. Sweet setup and cool frame. Nice example of the breed.

If you go to photobucket try enlarging the pic to it's full size then right click it and copy the image address. Use that link with the image button on here.

I posted all my photobucket photos on here like that and they all still work. Might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back