"Dragst-Her" (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an awesome idea, it's going to be an epic build when it's finished. I can't wait to see a cool girls Musclebike!

might be easier to 1) sell the rechrome console cover for big bucks, then 2) build a new from scratch cover from ABS or styrene ? then have chromed ( using the big bucks you got from the other ones sale ) .

Just an idea.

When she's a princess, there's really only one valve cap to get her.

x569Mz.jpg

I've been concentrating on my Fastback, but since I was painting tonight...

One of the hardest parts to find for a Huffy Twin Stick shifter is the handles. I have never seen one, let alone two, for sale. The Sears Screamer used one handle that was the same as the Huffy. So, @RailRider decided to repop the handles. I got two from him.

E9oTum.jpg

These were straight out of the mold, so they needed some smoothing out. Also, on the underside, there were some air pocket holes. No problem... just throw in some bondo and sand!

iPfo8i.jpg

So that had all been done, and they're ready for color and clear.

osWpEV.jpg

I'll give them a week like this, then I'll put on the decals. They'll get mounted when the shifter is put on the finished bike.

Wow those came a loooooong way!

Did you get the little screws that hold them on with those? I may have some laying around here somewhere.

I started stripping paint. When I worked the fork I realized that under the purple was the antifreeze green that we see so many '69 boys Super Stocks come in. I guess they had already painted this fork, but redirected it for this girls bike. Pretty funny. It proves that the girls and boys frame have the exact same head tube length, which is good if you're looking for a replacement fork.

MA2TK1.jpg

All stripped down. I took some time... actually a couple hours, smoothing the welds. Well, actually, the excess from the welds, so the tubes at the welds got back to their original round shape. It's one of the many OCD things I do because they bug me. The funny thing is, I also stripped down the Fastback today, but since I'm going for as close to factory as I can get it, I just left any weld imperfections alone.

kVg5r2.jpg

Pulled all the parts out of the box tonight. It's been literally years since I've seen some of them. Yes, I bought this bike before my girl could even ride. I think ahead.

This pair was a heck of a find. It's going to be difficult for me to unwrap the rear tire, as it is an absolute showpiece right now. But I'm not a collector, and she deserves a NOS tire. The front, although unwrapped, is NOS as well. It still has that white residue on it.

QHhh30.jpg

A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy this Rollfast Top Fuel sprocket. @RailRider will agree with me that I think it's the best looking sprocket in the muscle bike community. He put one on a custom Top Fuel Rail he built years ago, and it inspired me to use it for this build.

I need opinions: Currently the center is painted flat black, but it's got a number of small chips. I have one of 3 option:

1) Leave it alone. Even with chips, it's only original once.
2) Repaint the flat black, even though the edges have a fade into the chrome that will be exceptionally difficult to recreate.
3) Repaint the same color as the bike. (Violet)

bsePOk.jpg

I do understand the "it's only original once" thought but I think it would be cool if the black out area is painted the same color as the bike. Besides it would look cool and be unique for your daughter to set her bike apart that much more.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy this Rollfast Top Fuel sprocket. @RailRider will agree with me that I think it's the best looking sprocket in the muscle bike community. He put one on a custom Top Fuel Rail he built years ago, and it inspired me to use it for this build.

I need opinions: Currently the center is painted flat black, but it's got a number of small chips. I have one of 3 option:

1) Leave it alone. Even with chips, it's only original once.
2) Repaint the flat black, even though the edges have a fade into the chrome that will be exceptionally difficult to recreate.
3) Repaint the same color as the bike. (Violet)

bsePOk.jpg

Those are cool sprockets. I like it the way it is. Is it just faded? Looks cool more greyish.

Color matched might be sweet but would have to see it to be sure.

What do you use to strip paint with? Had a heck of a time stripping the last Schwinn I painted.

Those are cool sprockets. I like it the way it is. Is it just faded? Looks cool more greyish.

Color matched might be sweet but would have to see it to be sure.

What do you use to strip paint with? Had a heck of a time stripping the last Schwinn I painted.
It's flat black, but the flash doesn't do the chrome or the paint justice.

I have previously tried to strip with chemicals, but I never get the paint completely off, so I end up using manual methods. Schwinn paint is notoriously well done and baked on. I've had the base coat laugh at the stripper, much less the primer coat. So, I've gone to completely manual since I'll end up there anyway.

I primarily use a wire wheel on an 4.5" angle grinder. On base there is a sand blasting booth. I take parts and frames there and blast the parts that will be too difficult to get with the wire wheel. I could blast the whole thing, but I'm charged for time, so I do it quickly.

Latest posts

Back